Level with a DEP on education

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

While college classes may be available, especially online courses, I don't believe you will get many (or any) college credits while serving as an enlisted Ranger. Certainly not 2 years of credits on a four year tour. A 'few more credits'? Perhaps.

Heres a link where this has been discussed before:
viewtopic.php?t=37039&highlight=college+courses
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

There are some colleges that give credit for military schools (not Infantry or Ranger, however). I received 16 semester credits for DLI

You can acquire some college credit for College Level Equivelency Program (CLEP) exams, but it is up to the college as to what CLEP scores that they will accept.

When I attended a community college, they allowed credit for the 16 units for DLI language training. I completed 48 units of undergraduate credits before transferring to a four year institution.

The four year university allowed credit for the 64 units from the community college along with another 77 units for USAFI courses and CLEP exams. So I had 141 undergraduate semester units at the beginning of my junior year.

There are creative ways of earning college credits while on active duty but probably not as a serving Ranger.

Check with your education center once you have been assigned to a unit.

RLTW,

Mike
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I did 5 semesters of college over the span of a 20 year career, here and there, patchwork - plus credit for schools, experience, MOS, DLI, etc.

I now do college full time, online and the VA pays me $1490 per month, on top of retirement pay and my current profession.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “Post Service Issues”