Dry runs

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Dry runs

Post by Slowpoke »

Ranger Steadfasts story of shooting trees to clear an LZ got me to thinking about some of the strange shit Recon Teams are told to do, especially on a "dry run" mission where no enemy has been spotted.

We were in War Zone D, a free-fire zone with no civilians, and came across a VC village that was recently abandoned (must have heard that the 173rd Abn was coming). They had left behind a lot of shit, cooking utensils, clothes, and a pen full of ducks.....about 70 of them. Our Team Leader called in our sitrep, and mentioned the ducks. Word came back....KILL THE DUCKS! We were at a loss as to the best way to do the ducks...finally our point man in eloquent prose said, "Fuck it, there ain't no VC around, let's just shoot 'em and get the fuck outta here!" The TL agreed, and we started shooting. The first few were easy....lotsa ducks, small pen....but soon they were running and flapping all over and got hard to hit, and we were kinda in a hurry. The six of us went through about three mags of ammo each killing off 70 ducks (some were shot several times). Our TL called in to let the Rear know that the mission was accomplished, and they started telling him where to go next.......he informed them that was a NEGATIVE, we had made enough noise to wake the dead and we were low on ammo....come get us! After a little discussion, the TL won out and they brought in a Rifle Company to destroy the rest of the village, and we flew back on one of their choppers. But, alas, word had got out about our mission, and we were the "Duck Murderers" for the next month.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Did you guys have the distinct feeling that there were eyes watching you from afar/hides? Come on tell us. You guys did manage to bring back a duck or two?

Thanks for sharing Slowpoke. Knowing the seriousness of going into villages and how dangerous they can be to a small group I can easily hold back all the jokes that come to mind. 70 plus ducks meant this was a thriving village to say the least.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

The village looked like it had been a major supply depot, with a couple of huts for rice storage and one that looked like it may have been an ammo building. But most of the good shit was gone....except for the ducks. The VC living there must have cleared out pretty fast and couldn't figure out a way to take the ducks, and just left them.

We were going to bring some back to eat, but nobody knew how to cook one, and one of the guys said if they wern't cooked right that they were nasty tasteing.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Ranger Slowpoke wrote:
Word came back....KILL THE DUCKS!
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the story Ranger Slowpoke.
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not to second guess what you guys did 45 years ago or anything, but I'd think Claymores and hand grenades would finish a flock of ducks off pretty efficiently.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Spartan wrote:Not to second guess what you guys did 45 years ago or anything, but I'd think Claymores and hand grenades would finish a flock of ducks off pretty efficiently.
One of the guys brought up useing grenades to kill the ducks, but the TL vetoed the idea.....said he didn't want to blow duck shit all over us! Nobody thought about claymores. :oops:

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

YOU FUCKING DUCK KILLER! :lol: :lol:

If it was a bunch of cats BM would be in tears. :lol: :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Spartan wrote:Not to second guess what you guys did 45 years ago or anything, but I'd think Claymores and hand grenades would finish a flock of ducks off pretty efficiently.
Hindsight is pretty good Ranger Spartan but using claymores isn't such a hot idea. #1, Ranger Slowpoke's team hadn't yet found what they found until after they got there. #2 If the team was ordered to stay behind after the rifle team left to see who of the enemy might come to see what can be salvaged. Having already used your claymore's then at your next NDP you won't have them available to use.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

H8 Train wrote:If it was a bunch of cats BM would be in tears. :lol: :lol:
Shotguns work better on cats. Especially if they shit in your bedroom. :lol:
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Spartan wrote:
H8 Train wrote:If it was a bunch of cats BM would be in tears. :lol: :lol:
Shotguns work better on cats. Especially if they shit in your bedroom. :lol:

Sorry for the hijack Ranger Slowpoke

Ranger Spartan, I had just moved to a new apartment and bought a brand new couch. My fucken cat while I was at work (9:30 PM to 6AM) tore a hole in the plastic and shit the biggest fucken cat shit pile I have ever seen right on the fucken cushion. Needless to say I was quite beyond myself when I found that smelly pile. I put the cat in my car and drove to the then called A.S.P.C.A. I told them to fucken kill my cat. Two weeks later I came back there with my dog and told them to kill this MOFO too! (My mad seventies :evil: ) Up tp that point I had both for over 5 years. And to this day, it has never bothered me nor am I ashamed for what I did to both those animals.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Let us thank god that Kerry didn't hear about this.! :lol:
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Good Story Ranger Slowpoke ,Its a good thing you killed the ducks they probably were NVA anyway :wink:
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's better to kill them yourself SF, cause the SPCA will never make a video of the occassion for you.
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

That's fucking hilarious. You guys are nutcases.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Matador275 wrote:That's fucking hilarious. You guys are nutcases.
"AFLAC"!! BANG :twisted: :twisted:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )

Return to “Reconnaissance”