RECONDO School Origins

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

RECONDO School Origins

Post by Jim »

The origins of RECONDO School. Great read:

http://sofrep.com/41969/recondo-school/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

User avatar
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 20949
Joined: December 19th, 2003, 10:09 am
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Steadfast »

Jim wrote:The origins of RECONDO School. Great read:

http://sofrep.com/41969/recondo-school/
Kenn Miller, author of Six Silent Men, also book no. 2. What an impressive mind, eh Jim.
Our 4ID Pre-RECONDO was imaged by teachers RECONDO grads themselves, a 3 week couse with 2 missions in Bandit country & a full tour doing LRRP missions. Called the trickle down effect for us lowly down students.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Jim »

One of our members, LRP1 was an instructor at MAC-V RECONDO school. A small, small world.

Great Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGIqUJfR6qI
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

User avatar
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator
Posts: 7780
Joined: September 14th, 2003, 9:50 pm
Location: ORYGUN

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Slowpoke »

Miller had a little trouble with his dates, but it was a good read. Sometimes his dates caused a "what the fuck?" moment but then another line would bring goose bumps and a "oh yeah. I remember that" moment.

If you look closely at the book "Recondo", it's dedicated to a friend of mine, Gary "Wolf" Loetze. The poor fucker died in a plane crash in Alaska on his way home from his extended tour in Vietnam. The plane wreckage and the bodies were recovered just a few years ago.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

User avatar
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 20949
Joined: December 19th, 2003, 10:09 am
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Steadfast »

Slowpoke wrote:Miller had a little trouble with his dates, but it was a good read. Sometimes his dates caused a "what the fuck?" moment but then another line would bring goose bumps and a "oh yeah. I remember that" moment.

If you look closely at the book "Recondo", it's dedicated to a friend of mine, Gary "Wolf" Loetze. The poor fucker died in a plane crash in Alaska on his way home from his extended tour in Vietnam. The plane wreckage and the bodies were recovered just a few years ago.
I'll be sure to look for Gary's name in book # 2.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Jim »

Recondo (1970)
Follows a class of Soldiers Through The Three-Week Training Course To Become Recondo, A Soldier Who Plans And Makes Reconnaissance Patrols Into Enemy Territory. 5th Mech Div training course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Vs5ANIbtc
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

User avatar
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran
Posts: 969
Joined: June 7th, 2010, 4:48 am
Location: Anderson, SC

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by IEDmagnet »

Gentlemen, I just want to say thanks to all of you from Vietnam. I read all of the books you are talking about by Linderer and Miller while I was stationed at Bragg. You guys did some amazing stuff, and I appreciate it.


Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.

User avatar
fatboy
Ranger
Posts: 1056
Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Location: Within spitting distance of philly

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by fatboy »

Reading all three books of Six Silent Men and Eyes of the Eagle is what really set me down the path to where I am today. I just re-read them not too long ago actually, and am in the process of finishing Gary O'Neal's book about his service. Giants among men is just scratching the surface of how I would describe you guys.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Jim »

MACV Recondo School: Nha Trang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXL3AXGEmqc
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

User avatar
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger
Posts: 5895
Joined: February 26th, 2005, 11:32 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by centermass »

Even though it came under the auspices of XVIII ABN Corps, when I went through (9-79) it was an all SF cadre staffed and run, either from SWC, 5th or 7th SFG (Back then, it was considered an "SD" assignment for them)

While I was there, an unmarked Huey landed and off loaded 5-6 guys in business attire, who immediately went into the Hqs bldg, and started turning the place upside down. Within minutes, Sergeant Major Strahan (The course commandant) stormed out of the building, cussing and to say was upset, would be an understatement. Seems the boys from the NSA got wind we were being taught UW techniques and tactics (Which we were, but under the radar, at least until someone snitched)

After about 2 hours, they boarded the bird, departed back to Meade, empty handed and never found anything, but left the Hqs in a shambles, with files strewn about, all over the floor.

One of the best and most demanding courses I ever endured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

User avatar
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator
Posts: 7780
Joined: September 14th, 2003, 9:50 pm
Location: ORYGUN

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Slowpoke »

centermass wrote:Even though it came under the auspices of XVIII ABN Corps, when I went through (9-79) it was an all SF cadre staffed and run, either from SWC, 5th or 7th SFG (Back then, it was considered an "SD" assignment for them)

While I was there, an unmarked Huey landed and off loaded 5-6 guys in business attire, who immediately went into the Hqs bldg, and started turning the place upside down. Within minutes, Sergeant Major Strahan (The course commandant) stormed out of the building, cussing and to say was upset, would be an understatement. Seems the boys from the NSA got wind we were being taught UW techniques and tactics (Which we were, but under the radar, at least until someone snitched)

After about 2 hours, they boarded the bird, departed back to Meade, empty handed and never found anything, but left the Hqs in a shambles, with files strewn about, all over the floor.

One of the best and most demanding courses I ever endured.
I wasn't aware that XVIII Abn Corps had a Recondo School.....VERY good idea.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

User avatar
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger
Posts: 5895
Joined: February 26th, 2005, 11:32 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by centermass »

Have no idea who snuck the camera in and gave me this pic later on. If you were caught with one, it was your ass.

The pic was taken just before the jump into the FTX. SGM (RET) Al Brashier, winner of Best Ranger, 1992 and Ranger Hall Of Fame inductee, is standing just behind me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

User avatar
fatboy
Ranger
Posts: 1056
Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:30 pm
Location: Within spitting distance of philly

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by fatboy »

I'm going to go out on a limb and wonder if that's the originator of the Brashier breaching charge? Either way, cool pic.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

User avatar
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger
Posts: 5895
Joined: February 26th, 2005, 11:32 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by centermass »

fatboy wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and wonder if that's the originator of the Brashier breaching charge? Either way, cool pic.
It is.

And pretty much still a standard used. He assisted in the development and writing of the Breachers Handbook as well.

He is also one of the few able to cross over from the 75th RR to SF, did his time there and crossed back over to the 75th RR.

One of the quietest, low key guys I ever had the honor of serving with. Same goes for Tommy. (CAG, also in the RHOF)

Click on the picture to enlarge it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

User avatar
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger
Posts: 21935
Joined: March 8th, 2005, 10:48 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: RECONDO School Origins

Post by Jim »

Wikipedia entry for RECONDO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recondo
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Post Reply

Return to “Reconnaissance”