Advice sought for Mom of 17 year old interested in LRS

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
mom
Egg

Advice sought for Mom of 17 year old interested in LRS

Post by mom »

First let me apologize if I am posting in an inappropriate forum but here goes. My son just turned 17 in June and wants to join the PA National Guard LRS Communication Unit. He wants to join Feb. 2005 to drill with the unit, do basic next summer, do AIT, then start college and enroll in R.O.T.C., graduate and then join Rangers. He is very focused on a military career. His recruiter has been steadily encouraging (pushing) him to join as soon as he turned 17. He did extremely well on his ASVAB, has excellent grades and is in actively physically training. Now the recruiter has stated that the PA Guard LRS unit is staffed at 125% and has only one communication slot available and if he does not join immediately he will not have any chance to get into communications next Spring. He stated that this elite unit is mainly populated by ex Army Rangers, with the average age in the mid twenties. I do not want to thwart my son's career goals but I am so hesitant to allow him to join now when he just turned 17. Also according to the recruiter, he cannot do split basic/Ait training. To me this means that he will be eligible for being called up sooner than if he could do split training between his first and second year of college. The recruiter stated that there are many other Guard options but my son is totally focused on only this one. I am seeking any advice/ info offered. I am trying to balance my concerns as a mother and my son's aspirations but the bottom line decision becomes mine since he is still a minor and I am very torn by this decision. Thank you for any help.
A Mom
Dublo
Ranger

Post by Dublo »

It'll be good. Just imagine what a pain in your ass he is going to be if you don't let him, and it is what he wants.

If you don't it may backfire on you as soon as he turns 18, then he may do something even crazier just to spite you.

I understand that this is a hard decision. If he has an attitude though, like most 17 y.o.'s hanging around with some ex-batt boys may be just what he needs. He is going to get his ass handed to him, but it will make him a better soldier in the end.

Good luck in whatever your decision is.
Dublo
I was in 2/75 from 97 to 00. 5-99

"He only loved people, he thought, who had fought or been mutilated. Other people were fine and you liked them and were good friends; but you only felt true tenderness and love for those who had been there and had received the castigation that everyone receives who goes there long enough." Ernest Hemingway
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Dublo wrote:It'll be good. Just imagine what a pain in your ass he is going to be if you don't let him, and it is what he wants.

If you don't it may backfire on you as soon as he turns 18, then he may do something even crazier just to spite you.

I understand that this is a hard decision. If he has an attitude though, like most 17 y.o.'s hanging around with some ex-batt boys may be just what he needs. He is going to get his ass handed to him, but it will make him a better soldier in the end.

Good luck in whatever your decision is.
Dublo
Thank you Ranger Dublo, well said!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I'd let him. It's hard to say how much of what the recruiter is saying is true.....if it is true, he doesn't want to miss his chance with a LRS unit.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Getting a chance at an LRS unit would be a great opportnity for your son. I'd recommend getting in touch with the unit and do some research before you beleive all the Recruiter has to say. Maybe the boy could go visit the unit, and talk to some of the guys, to find out if that's what he really wants.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

If I may Rangers, I am from Pa. and am also in the Pa. NG. The LRS is a great unit. If you have any concearns ma'am i have a website on the LRS,because i was considering a trasfer to this unit.

http://104lrs.tripod.com/ The webpage basically lists what is going on in the unit for drill. You may be able to get some general information. Also there is a few contact numbers.

I hope this could be of some help,
Justin
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Creamy Center wrote:If I may Rangers, I am from Pa. and am also in the Pa. NG. The LRS is a great unit. If you have any concearns ma'am i have a website on the LRS,because i was considering a trasfer to this unit.

http://104lrs.tripod.com/ The webpage basically lists what is going on in the unit for drill. You may be able to get some general information. Also there is a few contact numbers.

Justin
GOOD JOB CC, WAY TO STEP UP!!!

And just to make sure you don't get big headed, GET ON DOWN AND KNOCKOUT 50!!!

ELEVATE THEM FEET WHILE YOUR AT IT SON!!!
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
Oreo
Tadpole

Post by Oreo »

Roger that Ranger BeadleBug. Feet Elevated.
628th MI Bn,28th ID(M): June 03-Jan05
Bco 447th Signal Bn Nov 06-Jan 08
A Co WTB(Ft. Gordon) Jan-April 08
"I don't fear failure. I only fear the slowing up of the engine inside of me which is saying, 'Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?'"
-General George S. Patton
lrsrangerw8
Embryo

Post by lrsrangerw8 »

If I may Rangers, I am from Pa. and am also in the Pa. NG. The LRS is a great unit. If you have any concearns ma'am i have a website on the LRS,because i was considering a trasfer to this unit.
Justin

So as i visited your site, i came across your vehicle recce power point presentation. It looks very familiar to me. Wonder where you came up with the idea lol..
"That's why I like Bush. He doesn't over-think it. He wakes up every morning, jumps out of bed, lands on his two feet, scratches his balls, and says, "Let's kill some ****ing terrorists"
- Dennis Miller

Return to “Reconnaissance”