Lineage question

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
fatboy
Ranger

Lineage question

Post by fatboy »

So after reading a book on LRRP/ LRP/Rangers during Vietnam, I began to wonder- all Ranger units trace their lineage back through the same Ranger units throughout history. This includes the LRS-D and LRS-C that might still be around. But for some units like the 101st LRS that were transfered to being Pathfinder companies, does the Ranger lineage still apply? And would it now be applied to the other, "original" 101st Pfdr company? For the record, from my time in the Pathfinder company, it was ran Like a Ranger-type company, with one platoon for recon and another for csar.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Ok, so no official answers. Anyone have any opinions on the subject? FWIW, I'm of the opinion that the Pathfinder companies should keep the Pathfinder lineage, since they are not Ranger units.

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I can offer no "offical DOD" answer to your question. But the position of the 75th Ranger Regiment Association is membership eligibility based on service with Ranger Units, LRP Units, LRRP Units, and LRS Units that can trace lineage to a Ranger, LRP or LRRP Unit. No accomodation is made for Pathfinder Units even if their lineage can be traced back to a Ranger, LRP or LRRP Unit.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

fatboy wrote:Ok, so no official answers. Anyone have any opinions on the subject? FWIW, I'm of the opinion that the Pathfinder companies should keep the Pathfinder lineage, since they are not Ranger units.
Unit lineage is a tricky/sticky subject. The Army is not a big proponent of sticking to the "Facts" when it comes to designating units and assigning lineage. Case in point

The 601st Tank destroyers which was a very successful unit in WWII(given their assigned mission) was deactivated and their lineage was laid to rest.

Fast forward to 2006 and the lineage of the 601st is dusted off and given to the 61st Cavalry regiment (RSTA).
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Silverback wrote:
fatboy wrote:Ok, so no official answers. Anyone have any opinions on the subject? FWIW, I'm of the opinion that the Pathfinder companies should keep the Pathfinder lineage, since they are not Ranger units.
Unit lineage is a tricky/sticky subject. The Army is not a big proponent of sticking to the "Facts" when it comes to designating units and assigning lineage. Case in point

The 601st Tank destroyers which was a very successful unit in WWII(given their assigned mission) was deactivated and their lineage was laid to rest.

Fast forward to 2006 and the lineage of the 601st is dusted off and given to the 61st Cavalry regiment (RSTA).

Fco 51st has much the same problem and if you look that the history of the regiment it is the combination of two units. the 5307th Composite Unit (prov) , later known as the MARS Task force and later designated as the 75th Inf., and the Ranger Bn's in Europe. Each Bn was formed around a concept not a Regiment. The 6th Bn, for example, was an Artillery unit before being trained and redesignated as a Ranger Bn. For a long time the lineage of the 5307th was held by SF untill released in the 80's. Basicly when you look deeply into Ranger history it tends to be a mixing of several units historys.

this was takin purely from memory.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Ok, so basically what we have is the army gives whatever lineage to whatever units it wants, regardless of how they were actually built, connected or trained. That explains why there is a 1/75th cav unit at campbell that has a "C" troop/ Company full of infantry guys doing the Dirt team thing or whatever it is that the RSTA recon guys do.

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

fatboy wrote:Ok, so basically what we have is the army gives whatever lineage to whatever units it wants, regardless of how they were actually built, connected or trained. That explains why there is a 1/75th cav unit at campbell that has a "C" troop/ Company full of infantry guys doing the Dirt team thing or whatever it is that the RSTA recon guys do.
You are correct. Now for the RSTA Squadron's by their manning alignment each Charlie Troop is a "Dismounted Recon" company, which is why it's all Infantry guys. The two other recon troops are filled with Cav scouts.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

rgrpuck wrote:[ For a long time the lineage of the 5307th was held by SF untill released in the 80's. Basicly when you look deeply into Ranger history it tends to be a mixing of several units historys.

this was takin purely from memory.

5307th lineage never went to SF, it flowed via the 475th Infantry to the 75th & onto the battalions/regiment. The Ranger battalions of WW2 lineage passed through SF until it was restored to the Regiment in '85.

"Babylonian dynasty" is the best way to describe what passes for lineage in this army after it destroyed the regiments in the post-'pentomic' era.
Last edited by K.Ingraham on August 3rd, 2008, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

"Babalonian dynasty" is the best way to describe what passes for lineage in this army after it destroyed the regiments in the post-'pentomic' era

Actually, the Army National Guard does a much better job of maintaining their unit liniage and honors histories. The AC does pretty much what they want to.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Reconnaissance”