New LRS unit at Lewis

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

rangertough wrote: SB,

I see where you are coming from but I meant METL. What I meant is I hope that the unit is given the oportunity to execute a METL that fits more closely with what a LRS unit is designed for. Lets face it a LRS isn't designed for running and gunning on convoys, nor are the designed to fill a scouts role either. LRS units have been treated as bastard children for a long time. First, because a lot of DIV/CORPS Commanders want to depend on ELINT and Imagery from drones than on the word of some lowly private in a survalence position. Second, Commanders are just not informed of what their LRS are capable of.

Tough
How does LRS fit into our current Brigade Combat team? Keep in mind that some Brigade Commanders had/have responsibility for up to 7 Maneuver Battalions.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
lonergr77
Ranger

4-2 Infantry Scouts

Post by lonergr77 »

LRS is the red headed step-child, just like the scouts. 4-2 at Lewis also has a great guy as acting PSG (former 2/75 guy). I asked him if I could come by and peddle my wares and he told me flat out that it was a waste of time. Scouts to his commander meant QRF and Air Assault raids and nothing to do with reconnaissance.
lonergr77

3rd Plt, Cco, 2/75 - Nov '96 to Dec '99
RRD - Dec '99 to Dec '03
TSE Inc - Dec '03 to May '10
RRC Civilian - May '10 -
RC - 3-98
Silverback
Ranger

Re: 4-2 Infantry Scouts

Post by Silverback »

lonergr77 wrote:LRS is the red headed step-child, just like the scouts. 4-2 at Lewis also has a great guy as acting PSG (former 2/75 guy). I asked him if I could come by and peddle my wares and he told me flat out that it was a waste of time. Scouts to his commander meant QRF and Air Assault raids and nothing to do with reconnaissance.
And that is based on the current requirement. In my last Infantry assignment (2-503d) we used our scouts for a lot of different missions, some recon (route recon was a different animal then), some surveillance (sniper type), etc...

The problem we have is our flexibility. Commanders are given wide latitude to take the fight to the enemy. An HHC commander is normally a guy who doesn't want to be the HHC commander and being the Commander of recon is not as sexy as having a "Maneuver element". Which means the scouts become a fighting force out of necessity, frustration and other factors.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
lonergr77
Ranger

Re: 4-2 Infantry Scouts

Post by lonergr77 »

JLTW!!! wrote:
lonergr77 wrote:LRS is the red headed step-child, just like the scouts. 4-2 at Lewis also has a great guy as acting PSG (former 2/75 guy). I asked him if I could come by and peddle my wares and he told me flat out that it was a waste of time. Scouts to his commander meant QRF and Air Assault raids and nothing to do with reconnaissance.

What kind of wares you "peddling?"
reconnaissance and surveillance equipment, plus we do a whole line of radio amplifiers and comms equipment.
lonergr77

3rd Plt, Cco, 2/75 - Nov '96 to Dec '99
RRD - Dec '99 to Dec '03
TSE Inc - Dec '03 to May '10
RRC Civilian - May '10 -
RC - 3-98
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Guess I'm confused on my terminology.

What I meant was from past history it's common for I corps to switch back and forth between NG and AD for a unit to be it's main asset...if that makes sense.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

BadMuther wrote:Guess I'm confused on my terminology.

What I meant was from past history it's common for I corps to switch back and forth between NG and AD for a unit to be it's main asset...if that makes sense.
Makes sense & this occurs during every drawdown.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Tenn-RGR wrote:
Silverback wrote:The thought of a six man team conducting a static line infiltration into enemy controlled territory is a romantic thought, but reality is...nearly the same surveillance or reconnaissance can be conducted remotely these days and without the risk to personnel and manned aircraft.
This be the truth.
Plus no Commander will set the assets aside to support a mission like that.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Re: New LRS unit at Lewis

Post by Blacksrt4 »

Hey guys long time no post...I am on assignment for Ft. Lewis reporting early 2009. I was wondering if the LRS unit is already stood up and running or if they are still manning it. Any and All info would be greatly appreciated, I am very very very interested in LRS, and would love a job there.
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

well I made it to the company.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Blacksrt4 wrote:well I made it to the company.
Outstanding.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

CSM Puck, SB, I understand what you are saying. Isn't Strategic Recononaissance still a viable mission though? Pete Blaber talks about the need for guys on the ground to develop the situation vs a predator live feed.

It's hard to imagine the need for guys on the ground recon to ever go away. Then again, I've been out a long time.

Blacksrt, anybody in your unit that was there when it was I Corps LRSC (E-co 14th MI)?

Return to “Reconnaissance”