The NVA and the silent and deadly tiger.

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

The NVA and the silent and deadly tiger.

Post by Steadfast »

While on a reconnaissance mission during 1969 and during the monsoon's made all missions double difficult. I remember that we would stop moving about 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon. We would check out a few NDP, an then select the best of several. Usually within 30 minutes the rain would come and not stop until the next morning. I have talked with other's but this is how I remember how we set up on one team I was on. We put 1 poncho flat on the ground and tied another maybe 12 to 18" higher to several tree. Unlike the 101's Gary Linderer of 6 Silent Men fame that stated they slept in the wagon wheel configuration with all 6 men as a spoke in the wheel. We had but 4 men. We slept side by side, 4 in a row on 1 poncho on the ground and 1 poncho overhead. It generally depended on the team leader as to whether we took poncho's or not. I have done both. The nights we didn't have a poncho, shielding us from the rain was always a miserable one. You neva got dry. Life is certainly a biatch this way. But a mission must go on whether you are protected or not. We had listening devices back in '69. We generally set them along a trail. Each detector gave off a different sound and were completely useless during foul weather.

Ah, the nightmare part. Well I am not a writer but during nights where there is absolutely no moon, no light what so ever I was awakened to do my two hour watch. I had no poncho, I was sitting up and my head was like a swivel. Sounds, forget about it, you can not hear shit. Raindrops masks all sounds. That make you deaf because you can't hear anything out of the ordinary. I brought my open palm to the front of my eyes' just a inch away. I couldn't see my hand or even one finger. I was completely blind. I realized I was deaf and blind and on watch for two fucking whole hours. I wanted to scream in horror for I uttered not a sound verbally, I had a job to do. Just because I lasted the two hours and passed along the watch does not mean the horror passed. Sitting in the dark, unable to hear anything other than rain is a horror in itself. Especially since two types of enemy were out there, The NVA and the silent and deadly tiger.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Re: The NVA and the silent and deadly tiger.

Post by AngryPistols »

Steadfast wrote: We had listening devices back in '69. We generally set them along a trail. Each detector gave off a different sound and were completely useless during foul weather.
Ranger Steadfast,

I was just reading a book that made mention of the listening devices and had a couple of questions that hopefully you wouldn't mind answering:

How many listening devices did your LRRP team normally carry?

Were you alerted out loud or silently with say headphones?

How were they powered?

Thanks,
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

AngryPistols wrote:
Steadfast wrote: We had listening devices back in '69. We generally set them along a trail. Each detector gave off a different sound and were completely useless during foul weather.
Ranger Steadfast,

I was just reading a book that made mention of the listening devices and had a couple of questions that hopefully you wouldn't mind answering:

How many listening devices did your LRRP team normally carry?

Were you alerted out loud or silently with say headphones?

How were they powered?

Thanks,
Only one device. It had 4 parts. 3 looked like a blade of grass about 10 to 12 inches high. Each blade had a bottom that resembled the bottom of a click pen. Not quite as long and appeared solid and the part that went in the ground was maybe 2.5 to 3 inches long. The bottom appeared to made of black dull plastic, the green blade I think was made of metal. I think it was more like a real short antenna. They were inserted into the ground along the trail blended in with the vegetation. It was a good idea to listen to each blade alone to understand where you placed them. Each blade gave off a different beep. like one beep for one blade, two beeps - beep beep for the 2nd and its been so long that the third may have had a different tone or 3 beeps. You had a half of a headset that emited the sound through one earpeice. the headphone piece sat firmly on your head to allow free use of both hands. Since we were usually monitoring a trail we were neva far from it. May 10 of 12 feet depending on the vegetation we were in. I guess the device were powered by batteries but I never used one until it died. After one mission, that was it. Tossed. I neva had it go off except during the rain. I only used this device when I was with the LRRP's, 2nd Brigade of the 4thID. I neva saw it in K/75.

Hope that helps. I haven't thought of this listening device until I posted here. Just slipped my mind.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Steadfast wrote:Hope that helps. I haven't thought of this listening device until I posted here. Just slipped my mind.
Ranger Steadfast,

Most definately, I had pictured(in my mind) that it was about the size of a PRC-77.

Thanks again,

Angry
Angry

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

AngryPistols wrote:
Steadfast wrote:Hope that helps. I haven't thought of this listening device until I posted here. Just slipped my mind.
Ranger Steadfast,

Most definately, I had pictured(in my mind) that it was about the size of a PRC-77.

Thanks again,

Angry
How big is a PRC - 77. I am only familar with the PRC - 25. BTW, what book did you see it in. Did they describe it as I did?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

For an NDP we would find the worst vegetation around and crawl under it. We used the "Wagon Wheel" with all six of us head to head. Never had a poncho in the bush, we used them to build a hooch in the forward fire support base we were operating out of. During Monsoon you just stayed WET. If you've never been in a Monsoon rain, you haven't seen it REALLY rain. During the day, it would rain for about an hour, and then the sun would come back out and start to evaporate the rain water. The mist would condense on the leaves high in the canopy and drip back down, so it was constantly raining. I got used to being wet, and came to love the rainy season because you could move without makeing any noise.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Steadfast wrote:How big is a PRC - 77. I am only familar with the PRC - 25. BTW, what book did you see it in. Did they describe it as I did?
Ranger Steadfast,

I think physically that they are the same dimensions about 4x11x14 and 25 lbs, however, I may be wrong. :oops:

Photo
http://www.angrynine.nl/prc77.JPG

I read about them in Phantom Warriors Book 1 by Gary Linderer and he really didn't describe them, he only mentioned that the team had set them out and basically a company level of NVA regulars passed by their NDP. So close infact that one of the guys, who was asleep, was awakened by a canvas boot brushing against his hand.

editted: I realized that I forgot my manners- :roll: knokin 'em out
Last edited by AngryPistols on June 1st, 2004, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

AngryPistols wrote:
Steadfast wrote:How big is a PRC - 77. I am only familar with the PRC - 25. BTW, what book did you see it in. Did they describe it as I did?
I think physically that they are the same dimensions about 4x11x14 and 25 lbs, however, I may be wrong. :oops:

Photo
http://www.angrynine.nl/prc77.JPG

I read about them in Phantom Warriors Book 1 by Gary Linderer and he really didn't describe them, he only mentioned that the team had set them out and basically a company level of NVA regulars passed by their NDP. So close infact that one of the guys, who was asleep, was awakened by a canvas boot brushing against his hand.
I met Gary Linderer in RR in 98, nice guy. He autographed a book for me. His tour and mine overlapped, he was there 6 months by the time my tour started. Thanks for the pic of the PRC-77 It looks the same as the PRC-25. But it was always in a ruck, out of sight. The antenna was usually tucked through the ring on the shoulder harness of the web gear pointed down.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

DoorGunner wrote:Ya know, every time you write one of these LRRP stories, you make me thank the good Lord I chose aviation.:shock: :shock: :shock:
That is famous of you to say that DoorGunner. I had my choice. Volunteer to be a Doorgunner which I did not do. Next were the LRRP's which I did volunteer. The rest is my history. You had it tough from my eyes pardner!
My hat is always off ta ya! Ya big HERO! Yer my HERO! I kid you not, I am serious! :lol:
Last edited by Steadfast on June 1st, 2004, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Slowpoke wrote:For an NDP we would find the worst vegetation around and crawl under it. We used the "Wagon Wheel" with all six of us head to head. Never had a poncho in the bush, we used them to build a hooch in the forward fire support base we were operating out of. During Monsoon you just stayed WET. If you've never been in a Monsoon rain, you haven't seen it REALLY rain. During the day, it would rain for about an hour, and then the sun would come back out and start to evaporate the rain water. The mist would condense on the leaves high in the canopy and drip back down, so it was constantly raining. I got used to being wet, and came to love the rainy season because you could move without makeing any noise.
Slowpoke my brother. I have not purchased an umbrella since arriving home from RVN 34 years ago. TRUTH! I look forward to getting wet. I go out with me pooch in the pouring rain, short rain coat to keep my cigs dry and a boonie cap. Get soaking wet, I love it. I would stay like that miserable sometimes for an entire mission. I know exactly what you mean. Today when I get wet, I love going home and changing my clothes. That is a luxury I have relished repeatedly through the years, I will always have being home from RVN.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Most of the DEPs don't have to worry about which Batt they will be going to, the attrition averages being what they are, over 50% won't make it anyway. Of all the DEPs we've had on the board, we only have a handful of Rangers who made it.

We didn't have the listening devices when I was there. We did take a guy, from a testing lab in the States, out on a mission to test a gizmo for picking up and amplifying sounds. Kind of looked like a geiger counter (now there's an old one) with a "barrel" about the size of an M-79 barrel but covered with some fuzzy shit like a tennis ball. It had a set of head phones hooked to it, and you could pick up ants walking from about two feet away. The problem with it was the jungle was so noisey, it was hard to diferentiate the sounds. And it didn't like getting wet. The guy seemed pretty happy with his test.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

DoorGunner wrote:
Steadfast wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:For an NDP we would find the worst vegetation around and crawl under it. We used the "Wagon Wheel" with all six of us head to head. Never had a poncho in the bush, we used them to build a hooch in the forward fire support base we were operating out of. During Monsoon you just stayed WET. If you've never been in a Monsoon rain, you haven't seen it REALLY rain. During the day, it would rain for about an hour, and then the sun would come back out and start to evaporate the rain water. The mist would condense on the leaves high in the canopy and drip back down, so it was constantly raining. I got used to being wet, and came to love the rainy season because you could move without makeing any noise.
Slowpoke my brother. I have not purchased an umbrella since arriving home from RVN 34 years ago. TRUTH! I look forward to getting wet. I go out with me pooch in the pouring rain, short rain coat to keep my cigs dry and a boonie cap. Get soaking wet, I love it. I would stay like that miserable sometimes for an entire mission. I know exactly what you mean. Today when I get wet, I love going home and changing my clothes. That is a luxury I have relished repeatedly through the years, I will always have being home from RVN.
I agree, I guess it's simple things for simple minds. That's what my wife tells me.
Wasn't there a post from a DEP a couple of weeks ago concerning what BAT he should go to. Gee 1st Bat cuz it has a beach or 3rd BAT cuz it gots new bildins. What the fuck over! :roll: :roll: :roll: I almost pissed my pants when I read that. Ya won't be in Kansas City anymore Todo.

Yes! It is the simple things in life that weren't available during that trying year in RVN. It is one small item I still enjoy today.
DoorGunner wrote:Wasn't there a post from a DEP a couple of weeks ago concerning what BAT he should go to. Gee 1st Bat cuz it has a beach or 3rd BAT cuz it gots new bildins. What the fuck over! :roll: :roll: :roll: I almost pissed my pants when I read that. Ya won't be in Kansas City anymore Todo.
Yes there was. I think it was in Ranger Regmt forum, link below I believe:

http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3627

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Slowpoke wrote:Most of the DEPs don't have to worry about which Batt they will be going to, the attrition averages being what they are, over 50% won't make it anyway. Of all the DEPs we've had on the board, we only have a handful of Rangers who made it.

We didn't have the listening devices when I was there. We did take a guy, from a testing lab in the States, out on a mission to test a gizmo for picking up and amplifying sounds. Kind of looked like a geiger counter (now there's an old one) with a "barrel" about the size of an M-79 barrel but covered with some fuzzy shit like a tennis ball. It had a set of head phones hooked to it, and you could pick up ants walking from about two feet away. The problem with it was the jungle was so noisey, it was hard to diferentiate the sounds. And it didn't like getting wet. The guy seemed pretty happy with his test.
The thing-a-ma-jing you are referring to was neva seen by me. One small thing about those listening devices. They were advanced for their time. There were no connecting wires. All 4 items were untethered.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Reconnaissance”