LRS in Iraq and Afghanistan

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
SoldierAgent505
Embryo

LRS in Iraq and Afghanistan

Post by SoldierAgent505 »

Most of the units that went to Afghanistan and Iraq had LRS units (Ds or Cs) from what I gather.

Since the wars in both areas have shifted to SASO (Stability and Support Operations for the acronym defunct); what roles can LRS be expected to play in these enviroments?

Without delving into classification & OPSEC issues, I'd like to get some insight from those who are/were LRS. From the MI standpoint, LRS is more than the average 11B who is kicking in doors and conducting raids.

They're a prized eyes-on asset that is used for for a very critical task. Many have tried to transform LRS into COLTs or other non-Recon/Surveillance groups but the SASO enviroment almost takes that role away.
US Army
97B, CI Agent
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Without knowing and applying an educated guess, this is what I think.

LRS in regards to Iraq: Eyes looking for bad guy weapons cache and or bomb making facilities.

LRS in regards to A/stan: Eyes looking for drug smuggling movement and or Taliban movement.

There are so many possibilities and a huge LRS target rich AO in both. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I don't feel comfortable discussing this in an unsecure forum. Call me paranoid....
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Reconnaissance”