Washing before and after a mission

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Washing before and after a mission

Post by Steadfast »

I thought that such a simple item, SOAP should be discussed somewhat. My favorite was a non smelling soap. One of the famous brands but I can't remember , perhaps it was Dial Soap. Although I was a very light shaver, most of the men I was with let their facial hair grow to avoid using a shaving cream on the day they may be heading to the field. After shave lotions were only after a shower in the rear after a mission. We always made sure our BDU's were almost odorless from the soap they were washed with.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Ranger Steadfast - Beggin your pardon Ranger - I think it is Ivory, not Dial.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Terry Welshan wrote:I was told by a wise old LRRP when I was a cherry that Ivory was the soap to use, I still use it and still shave dry (electric). Anyone remember those single "C" cell electric razors, I still have one of them in my ruck.
I had one of them! Didn't really cut the hair sort wore it off. Really sucked when you were all cammied up.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Spartan wrote:Ranger Steadfast - Beggin your pardon Ranger - I think it is Ivory, not Dial.

You may be right Spartan but I am not sure we even had ivory where I was at. I know for a fact we used a non-smelling like soap soap. I will try to remember this at our reunion and ask some of my buddies if they remember the brand name we used. Still all in all this is a wothy topic.

The last thing you wanted to do was smell like a stud ready to go out on a hot date when you were going into the bush on a mission. The soap we used fit into a plastic soap traveling dish. I don't think we had ivory as that was too big for a traveling soap dish.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

We had some GI Soap (Army issue), but when we were in the field we didn't get a lot of chances for batheing. I remember takeing a lot of PNA baths (Pits, Nuts, and Asshole).

I'd just come back off of a mission when I got my orders to DROS, I didn't even take time to clean up, I just grabbed my shit and climbed on a C-130 headed back to Bien Hoa Airbase. I was still all cammied up and wearing my tiger stripes. At Bien Hoa, a 707 had just landed and about 100 cherries are standing in a loose formation waiting to board the trucks to the 173rd Bde area. I threw my shit in the back and climbed aboard, and the cherries on the truck started getting off. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until the driver told me to get up front with him, they couldn't stand the smell.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Slowpoke wrote:We had some GI Soap (Army issue), but when we were in the field we didn't get a lot of chances for batheing. I remember takeing a lot of PNA baths (Pits, Nuts, and Asshole).

I'd just come back off of a mission when I got my orders to DROS, I didn't even take time to clean up, I just grabbed my shit and climbed on a C-130 headed back to Bien Hoa Airbase. I was still all cammied up and wearing my tiger stripes. At Bien Hoa, a 707 had just landed and about 100 cherries are standing in a loose formation waiting to board the trucks to the 173rd Bde area. I threw my shit in the back and climbed aboard, and the cherries on the truck started getting off. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until the driver told me to get up front with him, they couldn't stand the smell.
hahahahaha, Slowpoke now that was amusing! I laughed my ass off on that one. :lol: Cherries, wtf do they know.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ando

Steadfast and Slowpoke

Post by Ando »

Excuse me Rangers Steadfast and Slowpoke, did you two serve together in Vietnam?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Steadfast and Slowpoke

Post by Steadfast »

Ando wrote:Excuse me Rangers Steadfast and Slowpoke, did you two serve together in Vietnam?
Ando, look in our signatures. The years we were in RVN are listed.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Steadfast and Slowpoke

Post by Steadfast »

Steadfast wrote:
Ando wrote:Excuse me Rangers Steadfast and Slowpoke, did you two serve together in Vietnam?
Ando, look in our signatures. The years we were in RVN are listed.
In Ranger Slowpoke's signature only his RVN years are listed. Our tours were 12 month's. It would not be both years, just part of one year and part of the next year.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

DoorGunner wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:We had some GI Soap (Army issue), but when we were in the field we didn't get a lot of chances for batheing. I remember takeing a lot of PNA baths (Pits, Nuts, and Asshole).

We didn't mind picking you guys up. 110 Knots, hanging 10, what odor? Then again we smelled like JP4 and hydro fluid.
hahahahaha DoorGunner :lol:

I not even once remember anything foul other than sweet seeing ya guys coming in to get us even if it was a cold PZ/LZ.

Note to Slowpoke: When I said I kept my soap in a traveling dish is true. But the plastic case remained in the rear holding my soap. I neva brought soap into the woods. I just wanted to clear that up.

There is one photo I have where we were shot out of an AO. I had a clean shirt in the rear but fucked up on my laundry and had to keep wearing my dirty bush pants until my laundry came back. I was recanting to a friend and lying about our mission, er telling my story I mean. :shock:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

In LRSC I would just shower without soap my last shower before the mission......rinse all the civilization smells off....
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BadMuther wrote:In LRSC I would just shower without soap my last shower before the mission......rinse all the civilization smells off....
Some guys wore their clean clothes one day in advance of going out on a mission. Kinda like airing them out while wearing them "out".
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bell

Post by Bell »

They got some neat stuff out now. It's in the hunting section at your friendly Wally World. The soap actually removes all smells from you and your clothing. I use the bar soap just before going hunting. I wash my clothes in the laundry soap and put them in a bag with an earth wafer.

I love technology.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Reconnaissance”