Studies & Observation Group

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Studies & Observation Group

Post by Steadfast »

This book by John Pliaster (sp?) S.O.G. is definitely good reading. It is about a group of men doing recon work inside of Laos & Cambodia during Vietnam War. I think this book is out of print but you can get a used copy. Get one, you won't be sorry you did.

Slowpoke and Myself being LRRP's both used to wonder who the hell was out beyond the border of RVN gathering INTEL. This book tells all.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

I picked one up a couple weeks ago at Barnes & Noble. Great reading. It has alot of info. on Robert Howard ( one of my favorite Rangers). Had the honor of meeting him a couple times. They did some hairy shit eh Steadfast?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

They definately did some wild shit. Even wilder when you think that they only had two or three Americans and hardly any timely support.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ron375
Ranger

Post by Ron375 »

A friend of mine here in town was in the unit. I read Plaster's book and gave it to him for a critique. Needless to say we had a long night over a campfire, he couldn't speak for everything in the book but what he knew about was accurate he said. These guys had huge nuts. My friend carried his wounded ranger buddy up a mountain with nva on their tail to make it to an exfil site. His buddy lost one of his hands if I remember right but is still alive today.
Bco 3/75 RGR '91-'93
1st Plt 60 gunner
Class 9-92
LRSD 312MI 1CD '93-'95
Voted ArmyRanger.com "Most Abrasive Asshole" '04

Return to “Reconnaissance”