Awesome book by Larry Chambers.

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Oh....there's another book/screenplay that Derek Washburn based on the 101st Abn. Div. Ranger Company in Vietnam. It was called the "The Deer Hunter". Maybe you caught the movie. ; - )
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

the 20 or so Vietnam War 101 Abn. Div. LRRP/Ranger books now in print (or out of print), my favorite is a small cult novel written by Ken Miller, Tiger the LRP Dog. If you can find it, grab it.
I just saw that at Half-Price books this weekend. I recognized his name from the many accounts of L Co Rangers. I'll have to check out that and "Death in the A Shau" as well.

Any thoughts on "Blood on the Risers"?
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Invictus wrote:
Any thoughts on "Blood on the Risers"?
One of the best Nam books I have read.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Invictus wrote: Any thoughts on "Blood on the Risers"?
During the 50th RR I was prevliged to meet and drink a beer with Dave "Mad Dog" Dolby(MOH). He received the Medal of Honor for actions during his first tour in country. He returned for 6 more tours. I asked him why, after being awarded the MOH, he continued to go back. What he said has stuck with me sense. He replied that if he went back and trained people what he knew then more people would make it back to their familes. What an NCO.

Larry Chambers was there that year and I had several Beers with him. I seem to remember him eating a cigar lit end first. (things where getting rather hazy) Months later Larry chambers sent me a picture of me singing Kareoke on stage at the Hilton accross from the Iron Works. :shock:
I really dont remember that one .......and I am sure anyone that was there would rather not remember it either.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

During the 50th RR I was prevliged to meet and drink a beer with Dave "Mad Dog" Dolby(MOH)
I was at that RR, the fucker had MOH business cards!

You're lucky I missed that kareoke bit though...
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

During the 50th RR I was prevliged to meet and drink a beer with Dave "Mad Dog" Dolby(MOH). He received the Medal of Honor for actions during his first tour in country. He returned for 6 more tours. I asked him why, after being awarded the MOH, he continued to go back. What he said has stuck with me sense. He replied that if he went back and trained people what he knew then more people would make it back to their familes. What an NCO.
Reminds me of the stories I heard about CSM Frank Miller. I'd love to lift a beer with Dave Dolby.

a picture of me singing Kareoke on stage at the Hilton accross from the Iron Works
I would have paid to see that... Need to have that one scanned First Sarn't, when you're able.
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rgrpuck wrote: Months later Larry chambers sent me a picture of me singing Kareoke on stage at the Hilton accross from the Iron Works. :shock:
I really dont remember that one .......and I am sure anyone that was there would rather not remember it either.
This is why some people get paid to sing............and others get paid NOT TO. :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I didn't know John Leppelman, his tours were earlier than mine. I haven't read his book either, but from what I've heard, he was another bush animal like Terry 'Fish' Smith, Jungle Jim Rodarte, and many others who served in the 101st Ranger Company. These guys spent month after month, year after year in combat and rarely (if ever) went back to the States on leave between tours. They were a strange bunch in a strange state of mind that I never really understood. "Warriors" I guess you'd have to call them, in the truest sense of the word.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I didn't know John Leppelman, his tours were earlier than mine. I haven't read his book either, but from what I've heard, he was another bush animal like Terry 'Fish' Smith, Jungle Jim Rodarte, and many others who served in the 101st Ranger Company. These guys spent month after month, year after year in combat and rarely (if ever) went back to the States on leave between tours. They were a strange bunch in a strange state of mind that I never really understood. "Warriors" I guess you'd have to call them, in the truest sense of the word.
Thanks for the feedback Ranger. I'm picking the book(s) up this weekend.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

hobbit wrote:
Coming from a Vietnam Ranger, that speaks volumes. Mucho respect for the ass busing Recon Men of lore.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “Reconnaissance”