Fieldcraft

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
BadMuther
BANNED

Fieldcraft

Post by BadMuther »

Figured I'd start an informal topic where everyone can throw a little tip out, and we will just let it grow from there.

Anything that fits into Recon tradecraft, please add it here....no matter how small. I'll start.

Not staring directly at the enemy's eyes when you have him under observation-a lot of folks have a "6th sense" adn will feel this.

Next?
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

When at a Pub, do not leave cash or an unfinished drink on the bar unless your Ranger Bud is watching it.

When observing female enemy, do not stare directly at their hooters as some have a 6th sense and will feel it.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Unpredictability is of paramount importance. NEVER use the same NDP twice, NEVER use the same ambush site twice, do not travel in straight lines. Becoming predictable can be you're last mistake. No matter how careful you've been, it's always possible you've been compromised and don't know it. If the enemy can't predict where you'll be, he can't ambush you.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

When you are inserted in an AO to conduct reconnaissance do not go directly in the direction you will be headed. It is a good idea to travel in another direction and then perform a zigzag with many changes of direction. Make the enemy track you and not be able to run in a staight line to your team. Even crossing your own tracks allows your team to see whether they are being tracked. And another item extremely important is never go back the way you came. Consequences can be deadly.

Note: I don't know if it was subconscience or not but I basicly wrote near the same thing as Slowpoke.

Trust your instincts but do not engage in a competion on tactics. Follow all basic rules. Tail should try to repair your trail whenever possible. Make the enemy have to search harder to find you.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Just because a spot looks good for a hide or an NDP, doesn't mean you should use it. Analyze the area from an enemies point of view; Where would you look for an enemy's hide?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Never hide near or in any man-made structures or features. They attract attention.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

When filling water from streams, be aware that any "muddieness" you make will carry downstream, possibly alerting others of your presence....
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I've prolly mentioned this before but will say it again. I had a team leader that wouldn't allow any team member bring along his poncho. Poncho liner okay. Well I knew I was in for a tough time as the monsoon's were in full swing. This TL forgo anything that looked like a hide and always did a NDP where the hill had at least a 60 degree incline. Sleeping or staying that way meant you had a tree trunk between your legs to keep from sliding down the hill. The TL's thinking was that the enemy usually traveled at the bottom of each hill or in the draws. The enemy preferred walking on trails, it was much easier. No enemy would think a LRRP team would be sleeping on a hill that steep. When you slept with that tree trunk between your legs and no poncho you were drenched but no noise occurred as the rain dripped onto you.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

When you take a dump in the woods, always bring along your weapon. The enemy may approach near you while you are unarmed and defenseless. Bring along a small plastic bag for your used paper rather than burying it. You can bury your dump but without paper remaining with the dump how can the enemy decide whose crap it is. His or his enemy.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

If you have a ruck, it is better to have many 1 qt. canteens than one canteen and a five gallon bag. Three reasons are important here. 1, it is easier to exchange an empty canteen with a full one into you canteen pouch on your LBE. 2, A 5 gallon bag causes sloshing and shifting of weight constantly as gravity dictates its movement & although you may have stopped while near the enemy and you are holding still, your bag may still cause your back pack to shimmer enough for the enemy to see you. Murphy's Law - If you can see the enemy, He can see you too. 3, The sloshing noise can be heard by the enemy as they listen and you take several step with a half full bag.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Watch how and where you walk...think of noise discipline and leaving spoor, i.e. tracks.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Watch for trip wires, booby traps, punji stakes, and try not to step on twigs. Hearing a twig break can travel far when certain conditions exist. Do not smoke, the exhalation of your cigarette smoke can travel far in a cloud and be seen and smelled by your enemy. Do not keep looking in one spot for too long, Close your eys or move them away from area you wish to focus on and then look again. Staring at one spot too long makes it seem as if that spot is moving. Look for anything that looks out of place. Straight line items may be commo wire for a land line, but whose, yours or theirs. See if you see a large radio antenea jutting out. Do not attempt to spit into the wind. When the spit comes back and hits you in the face, you may yell in disgust and enemy may hear you!
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

If you have a small AO consisting of 4- 1000 square meter terrorities -2 up and 2 down. It is best to pre-plot your arty with Arty before you leave for a mission. And either letter them or number them. Should you need immediate cover you don't have to waste time listing your coordinates. You can call for fire, identify yourself to Arty, and adjust up or down. This may save lives.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Be observent. Get to know your surroundings. KNOW what sounds are natural and what the changes in sounds can mean. Many times we were forwarned of an approaching enemy because the jungle sounds would stop altogether and it would get silent.

It may sound stupid, but stay alert, it's easy to let your mind wander. One minute you're thinking of some little hard belly, or how great an ice cold beer would taste, and the next minute you're ass deep in shit.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Never wear 'hunter orange' on a recon mission. :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “Reconnaissance”