Longest Recon

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Actually the supressor on Sgt Barreto's 16 was probably a noise supressor. When he fired it, the sound seemed to be coming from elsewhere. The item a about 5.5" long and 1 and a 1/4 " around. It was completely black. There were no opening except where the round would come out.

Note: photo added today.

Last edited by Steadfast on May 8th, 2005, 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

hobbit wrote:
Who cares!? If you had to blow that tape away, your last worry in the world at that point was trying to hide your presence. Usually there were 30 frags arcing through the air right about then anyway. The idea wan't to engage in contact. The idea was to break contact and get the hell out of there.

AMEN BROTHER!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Why have a big ass flash suppressor on a weapon if you are going to disable it?? Why not take it off and put a smaller one on then if you aren't concerned with flash?

With all due respect, I'm just trying to learn a thing or two. I have a ton of Vietnam LRRP/Ranger books, and this is the first pic I've seen of the practice. It raised my curiosity.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

BadMuther wrote:Why have a big ass flash suppressor on a weapon if you are going to disable it?? Why not take it off and put a smaller one on then if you aren't concerned with flash?

With all due respect, I'm just trying to learn a thing or two. I have a ton of Vietnam LRRP/Ranger books, and this is the first pic I've seen of the practice. It raised my curiosity.
A lot of modification to the wheapons was frowned on. Basicly we removed the sling and swivels to reduce noise, taped the shit out of it to try to cammo it, taped the flash suppressor to keep shit out of it, and kept the insides clean and oiled. I had three extra extractor springs taped down to the stock because the suckers were prone to break at the worst times.

The CAR 15 came out in early '67 and the LRRPs were the first ones in the 173rd to get them. We got about ten, and most of the Teams had the point man carrying the new "little gun." By the time I was ready to go home, in mid '67, we were getting CARs for everyone, but I told them I'd pass, my M16 had been pretty good to me and I couldn't see giving it up.

We did have a silenced grease gun, but it was a piece of shit. I don't care what anybody says about the reliability of a grease gun, it would refuse to fire at bad times and almost got a couple of Team Leaders killed (mine included), so we gave it back to 5th SF. Also, the stopping power of the ledendary .45 is bullshit. Doesn't even come close to a 5.56.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

You can see the taped flash suppressors in this pic, and our attempt at cammo for the M16:

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Damn Poke, you had 3 extractors taped to your rifle?

In LRS we would put a piece of tape directly over the Muzzle, but we didn't wrap it around the flash suppressor.

In your pic poke, is it taped over the end or wrapped around it?
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

BadMuther wrote:Damn Poke, you had 3 extractors taped to your rifle?

In LRS we would put a piece of tape directly over the Muzzle, but we didn't wrap it around the flash suppressor.

No, just the little springs.

As for taping the flash suppressor....both. I'd put a peice of tape over the end and smooth it back over the suppressor, then do a couple of wraps around the ends to hold it on.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Slowpoke wrote:
BadMuther wrote:Damn Poke, you had 3 extractors taped to your rifle?

No, just the little springs.

As for taping the flash suppressor....both. I'd put a peice of tape over the end and smooth it back over the suppressor, then do a couple of wraps around the ends to hold it on.
Copy, Thanks Poke...you have anymore pics other then the ones you have already posted?
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I've got a few more, I've got to get off my ass and get them scanned in. The pics I have I got from a friend on another Team after we both got back to the World.. I never took any pics myself....I was sure I wasn't going to make it back alive, and I didn't want my Mom to get all fucked up when my pictures arrived after my funeral.

EDIT TO ADD:
I had the pics all scanned in, and then my hard drive went belly up a year ago and I haven't got around to scanning them back in yet.

If you go here:
http://www.173rdairborne.com/menuold.htm
and click on LRRP/N Company Rangers Photos, I have a few in there.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

"A lot of modification to the weapons was frowned on."

Yea, right. :wink: :wink:

There were a few radical exceptions to the rule however:

Top right: Carl Ostrom's 17" thumper.

Bottom right: Adam Macias and his 14" thumper.

Left: Lt. Bob Suchke displays a pride and joy of L Company, probably the smallest 40 mm cannon in history. At 12" in length, it looks to have a collapsible aluminum stock covered with duct tape and a few wraps of electrical tape for good measure. I'd never have the balls to pull the trigger on that thing, and I don't think anyone else ever did either. Maybe somebody made it as part of their own elaborate plan for a posthumous Medal of Honor. :o :o

Photos by Carl Ostrom and Adam Macias.

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

This is probably a good time to point out that all 13 of the LRRP/Ranger Companies operated VERY differently. An obvious example is K Company using 4 man Teams. While I was with the 173rd LRRPs, we never did that, 5 men being a minimum. We also didn't do many 10-12 man "Heavy" Teams.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

I was just razzin' you brother Slowpoke. You're absolutely right about what you say here regarding modus operandi in Vietnam.

You know what? It was an N Company Ranger going back to the US on emergency leave who talked me into joining a Ranger Company. This guy was in his cammies, black beret, and jungle boots, standing in the terminal of Osaka airport where flights to and from Vietnam stopped to refuel, looking like he'd just stepped out of a war novel. The stewerdesses were falling all over themselves swooning around this guy. He hadn't shaved in about a week and still had cammo stick treaces on his face. He was about 6' 2" and the strackest looking combat troop I'd ever seen. When they shipped me up to the 101st, I sought out SSgt. Bugs Moran, then the Ranger recruiter, and told him I wanted to volunteer. "You mean I don't even have to lie to you first?" he smirked. "Nope," I said, "Just let me sign on the dotted line."
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

One of our guys (in 2nd Bde) named Bill S. had a Grease Gun, When we merged Top Kelly (K co) told Bill, either that Grease Gun goes or you both do. Bill left and went to a line unit.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ripcord
Tadpole

Post by Ripcord »

Ranger Hobbit
I wish it could of been that easy ,When i was going through SERTS at Camp Eagle they asked if anyone wanted to volunteer for RECON or LRRP's i told them i would but they looked at me and said sorry we won't take any one over E-5( i was a E-6 then ) , they said that they need E-6's in the bush as PLT Sgt's or Plt Ldr's ( It was because of leading RECON Patrols at Ft Polk that i made E-6 but that is another story) ,So as my time in Nam was getting close i talked to my Capt. about reuping and going to Ranger School ( after being in Viet- Nam i thought that i would not have to much trouble there) and at that time my Plt Ldr was LT. Joe Hooper( CMH TET 1968) and he also said that he would write a letter if it would help me to get a slot ,But as luck would have it a NVA 82 took care of my plans not that i was hit that bad but it fucked up my knee and i knew walking with a cane would not get it ,But on the lighter side my last CAPT worked with HOC BAO ARVN Rangers (on his 1st tour) and we did get to go on one mission with them , So much about me rambleing on
A/2-501 Anb Inf 101st Abn
RVN 1970/1971 Northern I Corps
If You Have Not Made Out A Will Do So now ,SSG H Breifing new Troopers In Viet-Nam
Wakan Tanka Nici Un
Ripcord , Drive on
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

hobbit wrote:I was just razzin' you brother Slowpoke.
Hell....I knowed you was just funnin' Ranger Hobbit....you're still able to type ain't ya? :wink:

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “Reconnaissance”