Longest Recon

LRRP, LRP, RRD, LRSD, LRSU, etc...
Chiron
Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Chiron »

Steadfast wrote:
The Arabic nomads wear layers of clothing to avoid sweating and losing water. Why do you think our military has not copied the Arab style of dress? When you dig down in your hide, approximately how deep are we talking. Do you have some type of overhead cover like a ghili type cover as was done over artillery pieces in WW? I can imagaine that any shinny objects are removed or taped over to avoid giving up your position Pafsanias. And binoculars are carefully used to avoid glass reflecting?

Another item you mention above is the number 50 followed by "C" is this for 50Centergrade, the temperature?

Sorry for all the questions. I have never been in the desert. The only sand I ever saw was at the beach.
Hey this brings back memories.

First the temperature the hottest we trained in while in lrsd was somewhere between 105 and 110 Fahrenheit. I did get to go as a child
of 7 in the Syrian Desert when it was 50 Centigrade or 122 Fahrenheit. Either way the sweat evaporates faster than you can see it and the body doesn’t have the chance to cool down. In the desert water is such a big issue that we never shaved nor brushed our teeth. Water was for drinking only and the loss of it was the end of the mission.

The Arab heavy garment (black) made of camel hairs is the traditional nomad cloth. I have one that king Faisal gave to my father long ago. I would guess the Army couldn’t go that route due to the excessive weight. Those nomad cloths are heavy.

Our hides in the desert were as deep as the terrain and time allowed for. If we hit rock then that was that or start over again a few yards away. Always watching out for noise and light discipline. One hour before the sun popped up we were ready with our ghili net that we stole from the legs for overhead cover. The binos we used were supposed to be anti-glare. I remember one time an opfor helo passed in daylight 25 meters from our position and we were a 2-man team sent urgently to cover a pass in Death Valley and they didn’t see us. We pilled rocks on all sides and draped the net on top. Another time we were the standard 6-man team and inserted by blackhawk, walked all night to our position. Dug a quick hide just deep enough to lie in say about 2 or 3 feet, tossed the net on top and all kinds of opfor drove around all day looking for us. They knew where we were, that was the time they stood so close to our hide we were afraid to fart. If you take care of noise and light discipline and don’t get out of your hide you can be in most places in the desert and not get seen or heard. Hell one time we would be in the hide and to pee we stuck our pricks out the net and let loose while lieing down. :lol: Really we were so close to the opfor we dared not stand up.

Once in 2nd bat in the winter we snuck into a leg amo dump... The point is before doing it I was dug down in the snow and a leg guard (smoking his but) stepped 6 inches from my face.
The point is "Who dares wins"! 8)
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Pafsanias wrote:
Steadfast wrote:
The Arabic nomads wear layers of clothing to avoid sweating and losing water. Why do you think our military has not copied the Arab style of dress? When you dig down in your hide, approximately how deep are we talking. Do you have some type of overhead cover like a ghili type cover as was done over artillery pieces in WW? I can imagaine that any shinny objects are removed or taped over to avoid giving up your position Pafsanias. And binoculars are carefully used to avoid glass reflecting?

Another item you mention above is the number 50 followed by "C" is this for 50Centergrade, the temperature?

Sorry for all the questions. I have never been in the desert. The only sand I ever saw was at the beach.
Hey this brings back memories.

First the temperature the hottest we trained in while in lrsd was somewhere between 105 and 110 Fahrenheit. I did get to go as a child
of 7 in the Syrian Desert when it was 50 Centigrade or 122 Fahrenheit. Either way the sweat evaporates faster than you can see it and the body doesn’t have the chance to cool down. In the desert water is such a big issue that we never shaved nor brushed our teeth. Water was for drinking only and the loss of it was the end of the mission.

The Arab heavy garment (black) made of camel hairs is the traditional nomad cloth. I have one that king Faisal gave to my father long ago. I would guess the Army couldn’t go that route due to the excessive weight. Those nomad cloths are heavy.

Our hides in the desert were as deep as the terrain and time allowed for. If we hit rock then that was that or start over again a few yards away. Always watching out for noise and light discipline. One hour before the sun popped up we were ready with our ghili net that we stole from the legs for overhead cover. The binos we used were supposed to be anti-glare. I remember one time an opfor helo passed in daylight 25 meters from our position and we were a 2-man team sent urgently to cover a pass in Death Valley and they didn’t see us. We pilled rocks on all sides and draped the net on top. Another time we were the standard 6-man team and inserted by blackhawk, walked all night to our position. Dug a quick hide just deep enough to lie in say about 2 or 3 feet, tossed the net on top and all kinds of opfor drove around all day looking for us. They knew where we were, that was the time they stood so close to our hide we were afraid to fart. If you take care of noise and light discipline and don’t get out of your hide you can be in most places in the desert and not get seen or heard. Hell one time we would be in the hide and to pee we stuck our pricks out the net and let loose while lieing down. :lol: Really we were so close to the opfor we dared not stand up.

Once in 2nd bat in the winter we snuck into a leg amo dump... The point is before doing it I was dug down in the snow and a leg guard (smoking his but) stepped 6 inches from my face.
Wow Pafsanias, these are all great stories. You might want to post them in no shit! Everything you told me was clear and concise. See I didn't even know they had anti-glare bino's. When You get this netting from supply is there a specific name for it? opfor is that short for opposition force?

And that temperature 122 F is sure a hot MoFo. I thought I was being cute with my friends saying 105 was hot, but you guys had it hotter than I.

Thanks Pafsanias, I appreciate all your answers very much.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Pafsanias wrote: Once in 2nd bat in the winter we snuck into a leg amo dump... The point is before doing it I was dug down in the snow and a leg guard (smoking his but) stepped 6 inches from my face.
EXACTLY! Even though we all had to be a cherry at one time, I used to HATE takeing out a cherry because you didn't know if he had the nuts for the job. I walked rear gunner on most missions and our Team Leader would come to me and tell me to "Keep an eye on the cherry, make sure he doesn't fuck up." I'd ask him, "Can I shot him if he fucks up too bad?"
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Steadfast wrote: Wow Pafsanias, these are all great stories. You might want to post them in no shit! Everything you told me was clear and concise. See I didn't even know they had anti-glare bino's. When You get this netting from supply is there a specific name for it? opfor is that short for opposition force?

And that temperature 122 F is sure a hot MoFo. I thought I was being cute with my friends saying 105 was hot, but you guys had it hotter than I.

The 122 was when we went through the Syrian desert in 1967. My dad, mom, brother and I went to Jerusalem on vacation to see the “holly landâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Pafsanias wrote:
Steadfast wrote: Wow Pafsanias, these are all great stories. You might want to post them in no shit! Everything you told me was clear and concise. See I didn't even know they had anti-glare bino's. When You get this netting from supply is there a specific name for it? opfor is that short for opposition force?

The 122 was when we went through the Syrian desert in 1967. My dad, mom, brother and I went to Jerusalem on vacation to see the “holly landâ€
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I do beleive you're right Ranger Steadfast. Never a doubt in my mind.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Chiron
Ranger

thanks

Post by Chiron »

Thank guys! You know living in Greece kind of makes you feel like a Lone Ranger. You make the brotherhood a brotherhood.

RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I have an old LRRP buddy that lives in England, and now one that lives in Greece. Yeah, the Brotherhood is an amazeing thing.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Slowpoke wrote:I have an old LRRP buddy that lives in England, and now one that lives in Greece. Yeah, the Brotherhood is an amazeing thing.
Ain't it amzing. Hey Tool175 may be coming to Greece for a week in June, we will hook up for an oozo. Go place the brotherhood. :D
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

OOZO? You guys going to drink that atomic licoricce on purpose?
Last edited by Slowpoke on May 13th, 2004, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Slowpoke wrote:I have an old LRRP buddy that lives in England, and now one that lives in Greece. Yeah, the Brotherhood is an amazeing thing.
One of my buddies from my Plt lives on the island as well. 8)
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Why not after all it’s Greece. I believe I’ll introduce him to the moon shine oozo called “tsipouroâ€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
---------
George S. Patton
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

[quote="Pafsanias"]Why not after all it’s Greece. I believe I’ll introduce him to the moon shine oozo called “tsipouroâ€
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Fuck it, I'll stay bald. That is some nasty shit.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn

Return to “Reconnaissance”