Introduction - FanCooled

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

FanCooled
Future Soldier

Introduction - FanCooled

Post by FanCooled »

Hello,

I am twenty three years old, a ranch hand, and college student. I am also currently in DEP with a 68W contract - no option. I joined this bored to gain access to all the forum has to offer. I will be shipping 20200609 after I finish my degrees.

After high school, I was slotted to go to one of the military academies, but realized that being an officer was not a career path that I was interested in. I wanted to serve my country, but I wasn't sure in what capacity. I attended a military preparatory school where I learned what officers actually do. While the job is important, it's not what I see myself doing.

My main interest lies in the medical field, especially emergency medicine. I had finally found out how I wanted to serve my country, so I signed the dotted line for a crisp 68W contract. Initially, I had not considered the 75th, as I was very ignorant as to what the mission of the Rangers and Rangers medic actually was. Luckily I was able to communicate with a former Ranger and was enlightened. I've read how I can volunteer at AIT or Airborne. If I can do that, I will without hesitation. If for whatever reason I cannot, I'll work towards being an asset to whatever unit I get sent to after AIT and put in a 4187. My current goals are to finish my degrees and to become physically prepared for RASP

On physical fitness, I've never exercised outside of sports, so I'm learning a lot as I go. My fitness is not close to Ranger standard, and I am currently rectifying that. My current fitness regime is as follows:

M,W,F - Periodization and Cardio
Deadlifts 3x5
Pull-ups 3x5
Squats 3x5
Flat Bench 3x5
12x 400m sprints - Goal: 1:52

Tue/Th/Sun - Calisthenics and Cardio
12x400m sprints or ruck 35,45,55#
Calisthenics circuit
-Ladder PU, SU, Squats, Lunges

For lifting, I tested out my 1RM and lift at increasing percentages over a six week block. At the end of that block, I reset and set new percentages. For pull-ups, I am working towards being able to do ten. Once I hit that number, I will start including weight, which will be calculated into periodization system. My Tuesday and Thursday workouts are very lacking, I will be changing it with information I've gained from this forum. On cardio, a 1:52 lap time puts me at a 15:00 2-mile. I subtract 15 seconds from the rest time in between laps and the goal on alternating weeks. I will start including longer runs to prepare me for the five mile on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I will conduct an APFT tomorrow, 1RM testing on Monday, and 5-mile run on Thursday and report back to this forum. How often should I rest my APFT and 5-mile run?

Thank you.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction - FanCooled

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, FanCooled,

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here, there is a ton of information for you to take advantage of.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
FanCooled
Future Soldier

Post by FanCooled »

Hello, Rangers.

Today I conducted an APFT. Scores are as follows:

APFT #2 20200209 : 187 FAILED
Pushups: 38 - 58/100
Situps: 62 - 76/100
2-mile: 17:10 - 53/100

Comments: I need to focus more on pacing. I have no issues running my 12x400m sprints below a 1:52 pace, so there should have been no reason I could not get at least a 15:00 on the run. I will be implementing the APFT workout plan found in the fitness section of the forum starting Tuesday. I also need to be conscious of pushup form when I reach muscle exhaustion. I had to discount two or three repetitions because of form. A lot of room for improvement. First APFT scores:

APFT #1 Date Unknown: 119 FAILED
Pushups: 25 - 43/100
Situps: 45 - 53/100
2-mile: 23/100

Comments: This was my very first APFT a few months ago. I am pleased with the little progress I've made since then.

I will update this coming Sunday with the week's work a new APFT.

Thank you.
FanCooled
Future Soldier

Post by FanCooled »

Correction APFT #2
2-mile: 19:56

25+2 for inattention to detail.

Thank you.
FanCooled
Future Soldier

Post by FanCooled »

Make that 50+4.

APFT #1 2-mile: 19:56.

Thank you.
FanCooled
Future Soldier

Post by FanCooled »

Hello,

This is an update for the week of 20200203 to 20200216. This update was supposed to be posted two days ago, but I fell ill later in the week.

Monday
1RM Testing
--Bench 135 1x7: 163
--Squat 135 1x10: 180
--Deadlift 225 1x5: 259
--Pull-ups: 8
2-mile: 15:31
--1: 7:28
--2: 8:03
Push-up and Sit-up Program

Tuesday
3-mile ruck: 43:28 35#
1-10-1 pyramid
--lunges, burpees, squats
Push-up and Sit-up Program

Wednesday
60% 1RM
--Squat, Deadlift, Bench
3x8,6,5 Pull-ups
1.5-mile: 11:30
--1: 7:18
--2: 7:36

Comments: This week started off strongly. My two-mile time was more in line with my expectations. Carpenter gave me a lot of valuable information in regards to working out, especially push-ups and sit-ups. The pyramid workout a nice addition. I'm looking forward to adding more volume as time goes on. I'm running through a 5-mile program as well.

As I stated earlier, I fell ill this week. There was an influx of patients with pneumonia, tuberculosis, and respiratory infections at the hospital I volunteer at. I may have caught something from one of them. I tried running it off but to no avail. It feels like all of my energy has been sapped. Tomorrow, I will lift and run. I'm still pretty ill, but I can't lose more days to inactivity. A new APFT will be conducted this coming Sunday. I will post a new report then.

Thank you.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”