Introduction - Matthew

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Matthew19
Embryo

Introduction - Matthew

Post by Matthew19 »

Rangers,

Firstly, hello! My name Matthew. I am a 17 year old Civil Air Patrol cadet that is dual enrolled at my local community college majoring in biology. I will hopefully graduate this fall with my associates if everything goes smoothly. Currently, I aspire to be a Ranger Medic.
Since I am off to the recruiters for the first time this Friday (4-5-19), I figured now is the time to stop lurking and create an account.

Secondly, I want to thank you all for having this forum open and for helping us new guys out. It really means a lot to me to know that someone out there is willing to mentor the next generation through their journey.

V/r
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Matthew

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Matthew,

Welcome to the site. If Rangering is your goal then this site has nearly 2 decades worth of history to help you with that goal. Make sure you read the stickies and FAQs and use various search features. Chances are you can get some basic info if you haven't already and ask an informed question instead of a repeat.

What exactly is a Civil Air Patrol cadet? I could go research it but it feels like more fun to ask you first.

Since I am a bit late getting to your message today is the 5th. Did you meet with a recruiter? How did that go?

What are you educational goals? If you are talking to a recruiter today do you plan to put your education on hold while you go to the service? If you are, what is driving you to enlist now?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

Civil Air Patrol is the Air Force's civilian counterpart. We've been around since December 1st 1941. It was started as a flying club by WWI pilots to help out with war efforts. Today however, our mission set involves searching for downed planes, cleaning up disaster zones, and pretty much anything the Air Force or FEMA needs volunteers for.

I sadly did not get to meet with the recruiter as I thought they closed later than they did but I did talk to him on the phone and got prescreened. They're going to call me back and set up an appointment for Tuesday but so far so good.

My educational goals I haven't quite solidified yet however I have thought about transferring from general biology and going into botany or possibly trying my hand at med school.

I guess you could say that I'm putting my education on hold but on the flipside the GI bill seems like a really good deal to me.

To answer your final question, I haven't really thought about it. I decided I was going to go into the military in some capacity when I was young and over years there were different answers. Now, it just seems like this is what I'm going to do. However I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's just what I've decided is the right thing to do.

Thanks for the questions. They were some good sit down and think questions.

I look forward to the feedback,
Matthew
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Rangers,

I talked to the army recruiters for the first time today. Not much happened except going over some basic stuff but there is one problem. I have to grab some paperwork from my cardiologist since I was referred to him after being denied a physical a couple years ago. Basically when I start to workout, my heart starts hurting. It doesn't affect me at all, I can pass an EKG, and was never diagnosed or put on any meds but they want to look into it to make sure everything is good still. I'm not too worried though, I know I'll still be able to PT like everyone else so (HOPEFULLY) I won't need a waiver. Fingers crossed!

Wish me luck :D
-Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

You know what you are doing and getting into, Matthew. Don't sacrifice your health, but also try not to get a waiver for anything if you can help it. Either way, I'm here to help you through the process and help you get to your goal. Keep at it. Keep us update.

The CAP for the AF sounds really neat. I guess that is a part time/full time job? Again, I am being a jerk and not looking it up myself.

Keep education in the top 3 of your priority list. It's ok if you don't know why you want to serve, there are a lot of good reasons. I found several of mine after I had already signed and many of those I had no clue about before-hand. Please check in as often as you can.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

CAP is all volunteers. I wish I got paid lol but we meet once a week and occasionally on a weekend for field training. During the summers we run schools and our form of basic training. I've been to some really cool places and done some really cool stuff. I'll share some stories if you want me to.

Updates to come soon,
Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew,

Always interested to hear about it. There are a couple guys around here working in the Sea Cadets so it would be neat to hear another side. I never knew about the stuff before I joined (or even at all until now). Not sure if the two are similar or not.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

You probably haven't heard of us simply because, as my old squadron commander puts it, "We're the Air Force's best worst kept secret". Lol. As far as Sea Cadets go, I don't know much except that they're is but for the Navy.
As far as CAP goes, I've been a member for a little over 3 years now. Currently, I am a Cadet Chief Master Sergeant and the acting cadet commander at my local squadron.
I've gone to 3 encampments (our week long "basic training") 1 as a basic, 1 as a flight sergeant, and 1 as STAN/EVAL.
I've been to Hawk Mountain Ranger School (It's a 9 day Search and Rescue/leadership school on the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania). According to the school, they actually jumped with Rangers so they kept the name. (Citation needed) I somehow found myself in the 3rd year course as a 1st year lol. I guess I was just in the right place at the right time so I volunteered to go to the advanced course. I graduated as a Ranger 2nd class (3rd is the lowest) as that was that. They did some crazy stuff and kept us on our toes. For instance, we were blindfolded, drove around for 20 minutes to lose our bearing, dropped off on the roadside, given only our compass, a bearing, and a distance. This all started about 10p.m. so we were walking all night haha. We walked over the mountain, passed base camp, into state game lands, through someone's backyard, and finally made it back to base. I can't say I enjoyed that course but I did learn to never get complacent so there's that.
The day after HMRS ended, I reported to National Blue Beret. NBB is a 2 week activity for EAA Airventures. If you're unfamiliar with that air show it's American's biggest air show so this was a big deal. We did everything from marshalling aircraft, to finding Canadians I mean pilots who didn't close out their flight plans (they were usually Canadians since in Canada the airport usually closes their flight plans for them. When they get to America they forget and we have to go get them.). I could talk all day about NBB. This was the highlight of my time as a cadet. Towards the end of the activity, right when you come off a shift and you're all sweaty they gather your flight together in a circle and they present you with your crest of St. Alban (your beret's pin). The way they do this is really special because since you all earned your crests as a team everyone passes around your crest and rubs their mark on it before it's officially presented. It really brings you to chills and really makes you closer to the people on your team.

Looking back on my last 3 years, I've done a lot more than the average cadet can say that I love what I do and wouldn't trade it for the world.
-Matthew

P.s. Apologies for the extreme length. 3 years is hard to wrap up into a small paragraph.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew, no apologies for sending a great run-down of what you have been up to. The other guys I mentioned in the Sea Cadets frequently give epic read outs of their adventures. Considering my pre-military experience was playing paintball or searching the 90s internet for Coast Guard terms to use... I'd say you're already serving your country before you ever volunteer. Great stuff, even if you don't serve.

That aside, you want to be a Ranger medic. What is your current APFT score? Before posting your current APFT, research the new official PT test for the Army. Post the events for it with your score. This should give you time to work out a time to do the APFT and time to research the tasking. Please reply when you see this otherwise I get worried you got lost on the dark net.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I am back! I haven't had anything new to report, hence my 2 week long absence.

I've looked at the new ACFT but I sadly don't have the equipment for it so hopefully APFT scores will work.
Push-ups - 35
Sit-ups - 50
2 mile run - 20:27
Tested on 20190428.

Time to get some scores up
-Matthew
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew,

The new ACFT does require some specific equipment. Don't worry. If the Army does swap to it, it will have a plan in place to take your from zero to passing during Basic/OSUT. That being said, basic body weight workouts like pushups, chins, core exercises, cardio, will never be out-dated. Keep at it!

I like it when someone comes in and posts scores like this. It looks like my scores when I was a DEP (I assume, I never took an APFT before basic). Find some general fitness improvement programs online. Many you can do with no weights at all, just specifically look for ones like that. Do you not have access to any type of gym? How did you feel after doing all three events together?
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Ranger Disinfertention,

I currently do not have access to a gym but I've been looking into trying to get a membership at my local YMCA.
As for for my first run through of the APFT, I can't say it was terrible or that I didn't struggle but I mean I'm still here so I guess it wasn't so bad lol
As for my current work out regiment, I'm doing TKD 6 days a week and a couch to 5k program 3 days a week. After that is finished I'll roll it into a 10k program that I found. As for pushups and sit ups , I haven't found anything I like yet so I've only really done the odd set or ladder here and there.

I'll keep at it,
-Matthew
Matthew19
Embryo

Post by Matthew19 »

Rangers,

Not much to update right now other than I broke the 20 minute barrier for my 2 mile time. 18:16 was my time.

Figured I should check in,
-Matthew
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Super...every little bit is another stone in the foundation of YOUR success.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Matthew19 wrote: May 26th, 2019, 7:41 pm Rangers,

Not much to update right now other than I broke the 20 minute barrier for my 2 mile time. 18:16 was my time.

Figured I should check in,
-Matthew
Great one to break. Keep following a program and you'll steadily see improvements.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”