Introduction - Ry

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Ry

Post by Disinfertention »

Hey Ry, good to hear from you.

The decision between 11X or 68W is solely yours... I would encourage you to research the two fields before you see a recruiter. Unless that recruiter was in Regiment as either MOS... just take his feedback with a grain of salt.

Remember some key things when talking to a recruiter - It's your career, you pick your MOS, you pick your options. There is no such things as "No" to a new recruit that has not served in the military before. You may have to wait for the contract you want, but they will find it. Trust the process just be patient and don't settle for less.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Roger, Ranger Disinfertention. It will be tough to pick which MOS to pursue, but I will make sure to heed your advice and remain patient, both with my own decision making and my efforts in communicating with a recruiter. Whether I have to wait briefly or a long time for the contract I want, I know that preparing myself physically and mentally is all under my control, so I will remain diligent.
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
rysilver55
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by rysilver55 »

Rangers,

I realize that it has been a year since I last posted, so I figure I am long overdue to provide an update.
I finished my freshman semester of college and did extremely well in my classes. I'm glad I took the time to learn as well as physically prepare before enlisting. Additionally, I became a nationally registered EMT over the summer.
I secured a 68w option 40 contract and shipped to Fort Jackson for basic training on November 19. Currently, I am home on VBL and using the free time to my advantage by training daily and studying Ranger history as well as marksmanship and land navigation. I will resume training in white phase on January 3.
Basic training has gone well thus far. We fully implemented the ACFT as our standard PT test, and I scored a 525 on the initial assessment, maxing the 2 mile run and the deadlift. The PT has been underwhelming thus far, especially regarding running, as well as the ruck marches. Fortunately, I found some battle buddies pursuing the same goals to conduct extra PT with in the bays during free time. We've gotten creative with the little equipment and time we have by doing lower body exercises with our IOTVs and rucks for extra resistance, as well as lots of pushup, sit up, and pull up improvement work. VBL has been a great opportunity to add some more running mileage as well as get in the weight room for strength work.
Since I already am a registered EMT, I will skip the first 8 weeks of 68w AIT and be fast tracked into whiskey phase upon arrival in March, which means that RASP is approaching quickly. I am remaining motivated and focused on surpassing each small objective as they appear. I'm looking forward to the path ahead, and am excited to utilize the wealth of knowledge on this forum to my advantage.

Thank you,
Ry
68W OPT 40
Ship Date 19 NOV 2019
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Your rank and permissions have been upgraded allowing you to view the "Mentoring Forum"

There is a wealth of information there, which you can get started reading in the mean time while waiting for additional guidance.

Log off and log back in and you will see it.

RLTW!
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

rysilver55 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 6:46 pm Rangers,

Thank you,
Ry
Ry,

Missed your post the other day when I checked in... I missed several unfortunately. Glad to hear you were able to get a contract for what you wanted. Now comes the time to do it... Check in when you can and create a "Letters From School" topic. There is another 68W that is just finishing up the whole process who had been posting in there... you may or may not find some insight in it (he is also in our Discord)
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”