Introduction - Brent

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Brent

Post by BrentK »

Hello Rangers! My name is Brent and I am 22 years old. I graduated college in May with my BS in Criminology. I someday hope to work in federal law enforcement (such as with the FBI, DEA, or the Marshals), and I am currently planning on enlisting in the Army soon. I have yet to speak with a recruiter, but I have done enough research and soul-searching to decide that I want to serve my country as a Ranger. I usually don't stay very active on online forums, but I decided that I needed to create this account so I could discuss my decision and the route I will take to achieve this goal with others who are more knowledgeable than myself.

Originally, my plan was to enlist as a 35m with an option 40 (which I realize isn't incredibly common) but I've noticed a lot of people seem to think the 35m MOS should be avoided like the plague. If I was able to become a Ranger as a 35m, would this mean that my experience would be significantly more exciting than the typical 35m experience? Also, if I did become a 35m with the Rangers, would this mean that I'm probably not going to be spending much time in the field? I think the job of a 35m sounds really interesting (and could potentially go along very well with my post-military plans), but really want to be in the field conducting raids and working against our nation's enemies. I've also considered trying to get an 18x contract but, based on my understanding, the washout rate is incredibly high and you have to be in basically the same shape as a professional athlete to be successful. Is this correct, or might I have a legitimate shot?

I apologize if I should have saved these questions for a separate topic in a different section, but I thought I would go ahead and get them out there. Any answers or guidance you can give me will be much appreciated. Anyway, here are my current PT scores:

Push-ups- 80
Sit-ups- 83
2 Mile- 13:37
Dead hang pull-ups: 16
11x Opt 40
Ship Date: 20160105

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Brent

Post by Jim »

Welcome. you have established a PT baseline to build on. If you really want to earn a space in the 75th Ranger Regimentyou came to the right place. Please tell us more about yourself; what languages do you speak? We take great pleasure in the fine young men who earn a space in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Plead read all the FAQS, stickies, threads, and posts. Never, never quit!

You may find this link helpful.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

Welcome here, Brent.

As for your 18X comment, I'll leave you with this -- I have seen many more fat Special Forces soldiers than Rangers. With that being said, I have worked with great guys from SF. No unit is in better shape than the 75th Ranger Regiment.

However, you say that you want to be "out in the field, conducting raids, and working against the nation's enemies." Based on this supposed proclivity of yours, and your interest in both the 35M MOS and the Special Forces career route, I have the opinion that you do not entirely, nor even partially, know what you want to do.

That's fine.

Personally, I think that you should initially pursue an infantry Option 40 contract. Being "out in the field, conducting raids..." etc. will give you the perspective and experience that, if you choose to change your job later on, would greatly improve your effectiveness as both a 35M (or whatever) and any other job.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Thanks for the link Ranger Jim; it will come in very handy in my future research. As for more information about myself, I’m not sure there is much else to say. English is my only language, although I would enjoy learning another one (or more). I strongly considered enlisting straight out of high school, but then decided that I would rather get college out of the way first. I did fairly well at college and even managed to graduate with highest honors. I’ve always been an outdoorsman and I love to go fishing and hunting (and I consider myself to be a pretty good shot). If you want to know anything else, just ask!

Ranger Dreadnought, I really appreciate your insight. Your post has helped me to realize that part of the reason that I have been struggling with this decision isn’t that I don’t know what I want to do, but that I want to do too much. Basically, I think I want the best of both worlds (infantry and intelligence) but that just isn’t really an option. I think your idea for me to start out with an infantry Option 40 contract is wise and would give me a job I would be very happy with while setting me up for the future, should I decide to do something else. Just to be sure, if I was to get an Option 40 contract and I graduate RASP, am I guaranteed a spot on the Regiment, or is it possible that I will be assigned elsewhere. In other words, does an Option 40 contract remove luck from the equation (at least for the most part)? I’m pretty sure that the answer to this is yes, but I have yet to confirm this with a reliable source.

As for what I said about 18x, I apologize if I made it sound like I think SF are more difficult than the Rangers. I've just heard that people often have no idea of what they are getting into when they go 18x. Of course, most of what I know about it comes from random stuff I've read on the internet so I honestly know very little about it, and what I do "know" might be complete crap.
11x Opt 40

Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

The best infantrymen understand the intel and make effective use of it. A great Ranger team leader and squad leader are some of the smartest people you will meet.

An Option 40 guarantees you a try at RASP (if you get that far.) After completion of RASP, you get assigned to the Regiment.
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Brent.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Thanks for the warm welcome Ranger Charlie and thanks for the additional information Ranger Dreadnaught. You have my gratitude and respect.
11x Opt 40

BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

I honestly hadn’t really considered what 35Ms do outside of regular interrogations, so I appreciate the information Ranger XCrunner. I still need some time to think on it, but right now I’m definitely leaning towards getting an 11x option 40 contract. Like you suggested, I plan to be very knowledgeable when I speak to a recruiter. I know many of them really care about recruits and try to be as honest as possible, but I’m trying to plan for the worst case scenario. The last thing I want is to be screwed over by a recruiter and spend the next few years of my life completely miserable.
11x Opt 40

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

BrentK wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome Ranger Charlie and thanks for the additional information Ranger Dreadnaught. You have my gratitude and respect.
Whose Ranger Charlie? You giving our Rangers new names?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Steadfast wrote:
BrentK wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome Ranger Charlie and thanks for the additional information Ranger Dreadnaught. You have my gratitude and respect.
Whose Ranger Charlie? You giving our Rangers new names?
He also can't decide if he wants to spell Dreadnoughts name right.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

XCrunner wrote: As my colleague Dreadnought advised (in a far more articulate way :)
I do believe that's the nicest thing anyone has said about the trash that I type 8)
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

I decided to really push myself today, and conducted a PT test with a 5 mile run instead of the normal 2. Here are my results:

Push-ups: 90
Sit-ups: 90
5 mile: 41:30
Dead-hang pull-ups: 18
11x Opt 40

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

BrentK wrote:I decided to really push myself today, and conducted a PT test with a 5 mile run instead of the normal 2. Here are my results:

Thanks for posting your achievement. Have you made contact with a recruiter? What MOS do you plan to enlist for? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
BrentK
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by BrentK »

Jim wrote:
BrentK wrote:I decided to really push myself today, and conducted a PT test with a 5 mile run instead of the normal 2. Here are my results:

Thanks for posting your achievement. Have you made contact with a recruiter? What MOS do you plan to enlist for? Never, never quit!
Ranger Jim, I still have not spoke with a recruiter, but I plan to do so this week. I hope to enlist with an 11x Option 40 contract.
11x Opt 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”