penrose drains?

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

penrose drains?

Post by NeverSayDie »

Being the only medic, I by default get the platoon CLS bag, which I open to find peroxide, band aides, a sam splint, and a lifetime supply of penrose drains.

Now, back at the schoolhouse the only time they mentioned the use of these things where for post-op care on major surgeries. Is there another use for these things I'm not aware of (blister care maybe?) Or is the guy that stocked this thing fully fucking retarded?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Nugget
Ranger

Re: penrose drains?

Post by Nugget »

I use them for a constricting band when administering IV fluids. I think they are a little more durable than the Stretch Brand or other types of constricting bands since they are basically two ply. Plus, like you said, there is always an abundance of penrose drains laying around.

Nugget
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

The High School nurse handed out a special "go bag" for teachers to take on field trips and such, that will handle emergency situations. Inside the bag (I shit you not) five bandaids (small kind, that wrap around a finger), a set of rubber gloves, a tampon, and a binder that has nothing in it at all.

Cool... huh?

Needless to say I filled it with shit I may actually use.

Back in 2004 I had to stop an arterial wound on a student from a severed femoral artery using the belt from my Class A uniform. Since then I've been wanting to be prepared with something a bit more useful.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

rgrokelley wrote:The High School nurse handed out a special "go bag" for teachers to take on field trips and such, that will handle emergency situations. Inside the bag (I shit you not) five bandaids (small kind, that wrap around a finger), a set of rubber gloves, a tampon, and a binder that has nothing in it at all.

Cool... huh?

Back in 2004 I had to stop an arterial wound on a student from a severed femoral artery using the belt from my Class A uniform. Since then I've been wanting to be prepared with something a bit more useful.
Need any of the new touniquets? I have a slew of them (don't see a need for more than 4...unless it's for the new 2LT or CSM).

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

rangertough wrote:
rgrokelley wrote:The High School nurse handed out a special "go bag" for teachers to take on field trips and such, that will handle emergency situations. Inside the bag (I shit you not) five bandaids (small kind, that wrap around a finger), a set of rubber gloves, a tampon, and a binder that has nothing in it at all.

Cool... huh?

Need any of the new touniquets? I have a slew of them (don't see a need for more than 4...unless it's for the new 2LT or CSM).

Tough
I'll take anything y'all have. My tourniquet in the aid bag is of the canvas strap variety.
When I put on the tourniquet on the girl with the slashed femoral artery, I couldn't get the buckle to work. So I finally gave up, and just wrapped my belt around her leg then twisted it in my hand until the blood quit flowing. When the EMT's finally arrived and took over from me I couldn't feel my fingers anymore. I finally got feeling in them about a day later.

(QRT was here.)
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “Medical Issues”