Question about a diagnosis

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
G.G
Embryo

Question about a diagnosis

Post by G.G »

Rangers and other readers, this post is meant as a kind of update to a thread I began awhile back, which can be found here http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=52752. I have recently been able to review my medical records from the incident where the doctors first diagnosed me with asthma. At the age of 2 I was hospitalized for trouble breathing. Long story short I left with a diagnosis of new onset asthma and was subsequenlty prescribed inhalers (even after the age of 13, though I did not use them). However, according to my medical records of the incident no tests at all were performed, of any kind, to substantiate the diagnosis. It simply says I came in with trouble breathing, they gave me medicine, and I was labeled as having asthma. Over the years, it has become apparent that my troubles breathing were caused by allergic reactions. According to the sticky on Asthma and the Army http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2356, to be disqualifying asthma must have been reliably diagnosed. My question is this, would it be beneficial to go see my primary care doctor of the past 8 years and have him perform one of the tests listed in the sticky as accepted to provide a reliable diagnosis? Also, would a statement in my medical records saying I passed the test(s) be sufficient to clear me of a diagnosis of asthma in the eyes of the Army? I wish to do this so I can clear the diagnosis of asthma, thus rendering a waiver unnecessary, and providing a better route to me achieving the Option 40 contract.

Also, I have spoken to a former recruiter who gave me the advice to stick to my guns and not admit to childhood asthma since I am in great shape and have no signs anymore. However, I plan on a career in law enforcement following my service and see it as too much of a risk to take the chance of something happening which could result in a fraudlent enlistment dishonorable discharge and ruin my dreams of this happening.
"Mediocrity is self-inflicted; greatness is self-bestowed." - Walter Russell
Bugsy
Ranger

Re: Question about a diagnosis

Post by Bugsy »

1. If you have a medical concern that you believe will disqualify you from being considered for the option 40 program by all means get an evaluation from a doctor which will give an accurate diagnosis of your current physical health.

2. Don't lie
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
G.G
Embryo

Post by G.G »

Ranger Bugsy, roger that and thank you for your response. I know this is a difficult question to have answered (not many MEPS doctors around to ask), but do you have an opinion on if my doctor disputing the diagnosis and declaring me asymptomatic will be sufficient for MEPS to not require a waiver?
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

G.G wrote:Ranger Bugsy, roger that and thank you for your response. I know this is a difficult question to have answered (not many MEPS doctors around to ask), but do you have an opinion on if my doctor disputing the diagnosis and declaring me asymptomatic will be sufficient for MEPS to not require a waiver?
I have no idea on that question, however if it was me. I'd have legible, written documentation indicating that I did not have any signs of asthma. Nor was the original diagnosis from when I was two years old valid "IN ANY WAY" with regard to my present health or was there any threat or possibility of a re-occurrence of those symptoms in the future.

If your doctor determines that you're good to go, you're going to have to have him write out something like that on official letter-head indicating very specifically that there isn't any possibility of you getting a asthma attack in the future. Because that's what the Army is going to want to know especially if you want an Option 40 contract.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
G.G
Embryo

Post by G.G »

Ranger Bugsy, thank you again for some great advice. Though I cannot begin the DEP process until atleast January, because of college, I plan on going to a local recruiter soon and seeking their advice after explaining my situation. I still plan on heeding yours and getting a statement put in my medical records following the tests. I have read online that people going through MEPS were shown an overhead instructing them to only check yes for asthma if it occured after the age of 13, if this is the case I may be in luck.
G.G
Embryo

Post by G.G »

Ranger Bugsy, an update. I went to a recruiter today to discuss this topic. He informed me that no recruiter could tell someone to upright lie, but that there were two routes I can take when the time comes for me to begin the enlistment process. He said I can "forget" I was told I had asthma, or that I can get the tests done from my doc, with a note that says I am good to go and everything else you stated I would need. This would be attached to the MEPS pre-screen form, they would respond saying if I am qualified or not, then they would do their own tests and if they substantiate my doctor's claims then I would be good to go. They tried to assure me as much as they could that they didn't believe a waiver would be in order if this was the case, but that there was no way they could say 100% yes or no either way.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

G.G wrote:Ranger Bugsy, an update. I went to a recruiter today to discuss this topic. He informed me that no recruiter could tell someone to upright lie, but that there were two routes I can take when the time comes for me to begin the enlistment process. He said I can "forget" I was told I had asthma, or that I can get the tests done from my doc, with a note that says I am good to go and everything else you stated I would need. This would be attached to the MEPS pre-screen form, they would respond saying if I am qualified or not, then they would do their own tests and if they substantiate my doctor's claims then I would be good to go. They tried to assure me as much as they could that they didn't believe a waiver would be in order if this was the case, but that there was no way they could say 100% yes or no either way.
Listen bud integrity will go a long way if you choose to adopt it as your approach to how you deal with issues in your life.

Secondly, look at it this way: You "choose" to take the EASY BS route and "forget". You then make it to Bn and while deployed, during an engagement with the enemy you're called upon to manuver and lay down coverage to protect your fellow soldiers but oh oh, wait you get an asthma attack out of nowhere for the first time in 15 years! Meanwhile 3 guys from your squad just got killed.

This isn't just about you kid, its about the safty of others as well.

Don't bother me with this bullshit again, you wanted advise you got it.
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div

merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

G.G,
Ranger Bugsy has advised you well. Consider this....if you want to be truthful about your possible history of asthma; make an appointment
with your physician. Explain everything to him (her); and tell him that you would like to take a pulmonary function test. Then, meet back
with him to discuss the results. Asked him for a letter to accompany your test results. This way, you will have the proof to show that you
aren't asthmatic. However, the final call will be up to the medical recruiting staff. It's as Ranger Bugsy has said, even after all of this, you
could (under the right curcumstances) have that out of nowhere asthma attack. Remember, asthma attacks are both extrincically and
intrincically triggered. By the way, I wouldn't put too much trust in a waiver. They can go either way. Best of luck!
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
whocares175
Ranger

Post by whocares175 »

childhood asthma that has resolved itself and not occured since the age of 13 or needed the assistance of an inhaled since the age of 13 does not need to be disclosed during the recruiting process. if you had even one asthma attack after 13 then it does. how do i know this....because i had allergic asthma when i was a kid. once we moved from nc to az i had no more issues with asthma. the fact is most kids grow out of asthma. its when it begins or continues through your teenage years that it becomes an issue and can be fatal.
10th mountain division 2/22 scout plt 2002-04
1/75th Ranger Regt 2004-2006
Ranger school class 8-05
2008-2011-Q course
2011-present-10th Special Forces Group (A) Ft. Carson, CO

Return to “Medical Issues”