US Army Aircraft Carrier Mechanic

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

US Army Aircraft Carrier Mechanic

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I had to replace a blown tire on my riding mower today. I got the old tire off of rim but couldn't get second side of new tire onto rim so I had to go to a local tire shop.

The kid who assisted me noticed my veterans cap and proudly told me he served in Afghanistan until he was wounded in the heart. I asked if the VA was taking good care of him and he said they were great. I then asked what branch of service and what job he had; he replied Army and that he was an aircraft carrier mechanic. Keeping a straight face I asked how an aircraft carrier mechanic ended up in Afghanistan; his reply was that he found out he was afraid of the ocean and couldn't work at sea so they transferred him to Afghanistan to be a tank mechanic. I couldn't resist asking; "How was it that the Army, which doesn't have aircraft carriers need aircraft carrier mechanics and how was it that he got selected to be one?"

His reply; "The army doesn't have them but they repair them for the Navy and he was selected because he was so smart."

It has been a while since I have had the occasion to have a good laugh so I let it slide and laughed my whole trip home.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: US Army Aircraft Carrier Mechanic

Post by Jim »

Generally, I do not wear any clothing that identifies me as a veteran. There are so many strange tales these days, that I just try to avoid. Al, this has to be one of the strangers tales I've heard.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”