To tell or not to tell the DS??

Basic & AIT
Rabidus1
Embryo

To tell or not to tell the DS??

Post by Rabidus1 »

Rangers/Drill Sgt's.,

I will be going to MEPS at the end of this week to enlist in the MDNG as an 11B with BAC in my training path, as well as the 29th Inf. Div. E Co. 629th MI Batt.(LRSD) as my unit...just an insight of what I will be doing...

When I last went through BCT at Ft. Benning, I remember at one point the DS asking who has prior service?what branch? questions of this sort...My question is, would it be in my best interest to try to blend in as a fresh recruit and not mention shit about my graduating from Delta 1-38 or anything of that matter? or if I mention my past, would I be givin' extra responsibility(such as squad leader or PG) or any other responsibility?

In conclusion, I would be more than greatful to take on any extra leadership tasks and would be more than happy to be of any help to the DS, not to mention, MY BATTLE BUDDIES! So what do I do when the prior-service question pops up? Any advice or info. greatly appreciated!!
Last edited by Rabidus1 on May 7th, 2007, 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moving on to bigger and better things...
Goals in sight, ready to execute!...
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Tell them that you are prior service if they don't know.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

They may fuck with you and it may be a bit harder, but if you are a man, you will be honest. It's in your best interest. Besides, the Drill Sergeants will know what's best for you.... :wink:
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Trust me, they will already know. (BTDT!)

If/when they ask, be straight. I was and it worked out for the best.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I agree. Always be honest... but, NEVER volunteer information. Lead by example... no one likes a Spotlight Ranger.

Just you going in all squared away will speak for itself. If you get a leadership position, make it come from your abilities, not because you are prior service.

Good luck... keep us informed on your progress.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Rabidus1 wrote:Rangers/Drill Sgt's.,
Which one are you? Ranger or Drill Sgt?

MrsDocMac wrote:They may fuck with you and it may be a bit harder, but if you are a man, you will be honest. It's in your best interest. Besides, the Drill Sergeants will know what's best for you.... :wink:

:lol:
MrsDocMac

Post by MrsDocMac »

Hey Miss SmartyPants, I was in a DS unit for a year down in MS. :P Found out I was preggo before I could hit up the school though.... No Aussie hat for me. :cry:
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

MrsDocMac wrote:Hey Miss SmartyPants, I was in a DS unit for a year down in MS. :P Found out I was preggo before I could hit up the school though.... No Aussie hat for me. :cry:
:roll:
Last edited by Warriorwife on May 10th, 2007, 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

The first time you meet your new DS I think you should just yell

ROCK OF THE MARNE!!!!!

That should suffice :twisted:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

When your DS finds out you are prior service - it means two things:

1. He/she doesn't have to fuck with you about nitnoid stupid shit - unless you're an assclown and can't pay attention to detail. He'll leave you alone, as he has 50 other stupid MFers to deal with.

2. You'll be a squad leader or platoon guide, but don't get comfortable. Most DS's rotate those positions around.

Above all - don't say anything stupid like "When I was in _______ we did things this way" or "My last DS or company was much harder", etc. You'll sound like a smartass, your peers who are struggling won't like you (and most likely rat you out), and your DS will bring down fire on you.

Just don't act like a know-it-all. You should tell them you're prior service, if asked. If you come out with that information without being asked, you sound like a smart ass.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Rabidus1
Embryo

Post by Rabidus1 »

Rangers,

I now know exactly what I will do when the question pops up. Thank you very much for all of the advice! When I get back from MEPS, I will post (in the proper board area) my ship date, etc...Thanks again!
Moving on to bigger and better things...
Goals in sight, ready to execute!...

Return to “About OSUT”