Introduction - Dave

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Fathertryhard
Egg

Introduction - Dave

Post by Fathertryhard »

Hello,

I am the parent of Dylan (Sniggle0788), who is at OSUT now (11x), graduating 1/22, and then he heads over to RASP. He made the decision to go this path sometime late in his Junior year in high school, as he hated high school and viewed this as an exciting and challenging option. He procured his option 40 contract in October of 2019, reported to FT Benning on 7/22, and then had the joy of lingering in the 30th for 30 days, no fault of his own (They were just FUBAR). He finally got liberated from that hell on 8/21, and now is engaged in 22 week OSUT with War Eagle Company, 1-50th. He is coming home in a few days on HBL, then returning tp Benning on 1/3 to finish the last few weeks (although it seems there are only a handful of training days left, mostly the final FTX).

We (he and I) have leaned heavily on this site in his preparation, as the advice, recommendations and stories from those who have been there and done that we both view as invaluable in his physical, mental and psychological preparation for what is to come. I have over the course of his training sent him excerpts from this site in my letters, to keep him focused on the far target (which is quickly becoming the near target).

Dylan's preparation, prior to enlistment, was pretty solid and focused. He wrestled in high school, and he and I lifted off season (for a few years). We also have always done backpacking trips, which included a MT Rainier climb in 2018. After wrestling ended his senior year, we pushed right into a RASP prep training program from Green Eyed Devils, and pretty much completed that program prior to his ship date. We also completed a GoRuck Heavy event in Nashville 30 days before he shipped (1st post-COVID heavy GoRuck ran). When he headed doff to OSUT he could max the PT test and do 12 good pullups.

On this HBL my goal is to keep him on track, and get some more running miles on his legs, as OSUT just does not provide adequate PT for what I suspect he will face at RASP. I also plan to feed him very well, and let him decompress (OSUT in this COVID age is like being in prison, as he describes it. The guys are locked down to the exterior perimeter of their building every day, including weekends. No passes, no trips to town, nothing).

With a little luck, I am confident in his ability to graduate RASP, but it remains to be seen, as he has not been tested like this before. As I tell him, everything he has done up until RASP he has been surrounded by people who want him to succeed, and at RASP the script will be flipped. I do know he will give it his all and he will not quit.

A little about me: I did put in 28 years in the Army, mostly reserve time, retired O-5. The way the dice rolled I never went there/ did that, as it seemed the units I was in were either not selected to deploy (GW1) or assigned to support mobilization efforts (WoT). Spent my last 6 years teaching CGSC. I did manage a few schools, to include Airborne School (1983), Ranger School (Class 7/88), and Mountain Warfare School (run by VT NG), summer and winter (great school).

Fun Fact: Dylan is the 4th generation in our family going Army. His great grandfather served in WWI and grandfather (my dad) served in Korea.

I would really like to thank the Rangers who maintain and contribute to this site. It provides young men like my son the tools and knowledge to succeed, if they want this path bad enough. For my son, the time is rapidly approaching were he will have his will and resolve weighed and measured.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction - Dave

Post by KW Driver »

Welcome here Sir. Thanks for your service
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome here Sir.

In addition to this site, there is a discord server (he will probably know what that means, I had no clue) for ArmyRanger.com that he can join which will allow Dylan to communicate with other Option 40s. If he is interested in doing that, let me know and I will reach out to the administrators that run that side of the fence.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Fathertryhard
Egg

Post by Fathertryhard »

Quick update - Dylan got classed up, RASP starts 10/15 for him. It may be harder on me than him.
Fathertryhard
Egg

Post by Fathertryhard »

Correction - 2/15

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”