IOTV sizing

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Strykerguy56
Tadpole

Post by Strykerguy56 »

We just got fitted for them here at RFI. They were out of Large Regulars, apparently the Army can't keep up with the demand right now. From the one I tried on, I like some things and hated certain others.

Sustains:
-Lighter Weight
-Increased range of motion
-Seemed more form fitting and less bulky

Improves:
-I HATE the fact that you can't wear a tac vest, rack etc. with the IOTV due to the quick release system. Im not a huge fan of wearing my kit on my vest (stuff get stuck on the hatch of my Stryker). Ive worn a tac vest for 18 months and now I gotta ditch it. It'll be a sad day
-The quick release system. Seems like a decent thought, It also seems like it could be a hinderance if the release gets caught on something.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Strykerguy56 wrote:We just got fitted for them here at RFI. They were out of Large Regulars, apparently the Army can't keep up with the demand right now. From the one I tried on, I like some things and hated certain others.

Sustains:
-Lighter Weight
-Increased range of motion
-Seemed more form fitting and less bulky

Improves:
-I HATE the fact that you can't wear a tac vest, rack etc. with the IOTV due to the quick release system. Im not a huge fan of wearing my kit on my vest (stuff get stuck on the hatch of my Stryker). Ive worn a tac vest for 18 months and now I gotta ditch it. It'll be a sad day
-The quick release system. Seems like a decent thought, It also seems like it could be a hinderance if the release gets caught on something.
Seriously? Your submitting a review based on a trip to RFI and trying on an IOTV?

Get down!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Well, never worn the IOTV. I've only used MARCIRAS. It has quick release, so I'll comment on that. You'll be happy with the quick release when your upside down in an MRAP. Or you're crossing a questionable bridge, over a raging river in a not so good part of town. Whatever had to be traded to have a quick relase, deal with it.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

The Holmchicken wrote:Well, never worn the IOTV. I've only used MARCIRAS. It has quick release, so I'll comment on that. You'll be happy with the quick release when your upside down in an MRAP. Or you're crossing a questionable bridge, over a raging river in a not so good part of town. Whatever had to be traded to have a quick relase, deal with it.
I've used a MARCIRAS for the last two years and it is excellent. I can't come close to convincing myself to buy anything else.
Strykerguy56
Tadpole

Post by Strykerguy56 »

pushin for being a dumb ass
pzpos360

Post by pzpos360 »

We went from standard issue IBA to the IOTV with side plates so it was heavier not lighter. It rides up higher due to the elastic band that wraps around your stomach which I personally like. The only thing I think they should improve on is the size of the velcro patches that hold your collar in place. They are the size of a quarter and do not perform their function very well.
We have been crawling in and out of vehicles with these for the last 9 months and have never had a "negligent discharge" of the quick release so I wouldn't worry too much about that. One word of advice, make sure you check the cables for your quick release periodically to ensure proper routing and that they haven't worked themselves loose. You will know when this is happening because the IOTV will begin to feel loose on your body and the side plate carriers will begin to sag. My .02 cents.

Return to “Personal Gear”