Combat jumps since 9/11

Entering the area of operations: Static Line and HALO Airborne Operations
RangerDC

Combat jumps since 9/11

Post by RangerDC »

Does anyone know for sure whether or not "combat jumps" have been made since 9/11 in Afghanistan or Iraq. I know of the jump near Khandhar but I don't know if they were awarded mustard stains for it. Any input is appreciated.

RLTW!
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I ran a Google search on that subject until I got bored with it....all I found for sure was the 173rd mass jump in Iraq and the one you mentioned near Khandahar (Afgan).

I remember reading about a 75th Ranger night jump to secure Baghdad International Airport, however, there were MANY skeptics who thought the entire article was bullshit (it was some Spc4's account of the Jessica Lynch Rescue).

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
RangerDC

Iraq Jump

Post by RangerDC »

I too "heard" of a jump into the airport, but that was a media report and they can't get the difference between SOF's and SF's. I am trying to find out b/c on another web site there is someone wanting to verify the "story" of someone they met claiming to have 3 combat jumps, Panama, Afghanistan and Iraq.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Ranger DC-

I may have misunderstood you...I assumed (I know...dangerous to assume anything) that you were talking about the 75th only. The 173rd had a huge combat jump in Iraq and I am unsure if anyone else did. My search was done specifically on Rangers...sorry.

RLTW
EP
RangerDC

Ranger Jump

Post by RangerDC »

EP, I was talking about Ranger's jumping.

The 101st jump??? The 101st is not even an Airborne Division.
Master J

Post by Master J »

confusion....its such a terrible thing.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Ranger Jump

Post by Earthpig »

Ranger_DC wrote:EP, I was talking about Ranger's jumping.

The 101st jump??? The 101st is not even an Airborne Division.
I think he's thinking of the 173rd...they dropped 1000 troopers, if I recall.
RLTW
EP
harrisn

Post by harrisn »

My ole' buddy Chris stopped in to visit a couple weeks back while on his way home for block leave and said 1/75 didn't get a one... said "there's some fella's over at 3/75 and Regiment though who had to have pulled down 4 or 5 a piece over the past year and a half"...said "them boys got to do everything Nate! M'er F'ers, I mean damn near everything!!!"... :P :P :P ...nothing concrete though,... mighta just been jealouse speculation from an old bro who had a case of the ass over having been stuck riding north for two months in a friggin Mortvee of all things!!! lol :wink:

Nate H.
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Had a talk with an active duty 3/75 recently. Was told that there are only 1-2 guys there with 3 stars, a handful with 2, and almost everyone has at least one. Best way to find out is to go to Rendezvous and look around during the COC and see what the guys are wearing.

That must mean that there are some at 2nd also, although I want to stop short of speculating precisely who did what over there.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

Spitfire wrote:Ranger EP, Im not sure if the 173rd ABN jumped in Iraq, BUT I know for sure that they did a mass jump in Afghanistan into Kandghar the captial city, at least a thousand of them. They might have taken part of both, and no I wasnt confusing the two divisions by accident.
You just did, again.The 173rd jumped into Northern Iraq, and im pretty damn sure they did NOT jump into Afghanistan(not 100% certain). That was the 82nd.
Carboned114
Tadpole

Post by Carboned114 »

O BTW - Kabul is Afghanistan's Capital. Not Kandahar.

Return to “Airborne Operations”