Fastroping

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

The Federal Marshall SWAT Team has a base at Camp Beauregard Louisiana (outside Pineville) Fast roping became a "thang" and believe or not, we actually got to do that in the SRT training. I did wear gloves.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

h8train1/75 wrote:
Steadfast wrote:In RVN I was sent by 2nd BGDE HHC LRRP's to Division's K/75th Pre-Recondo School where Rappelling was one thing I learned to do. However, I never rappelled into the jungle. I sure would have liked to do that fast ropping. Looks easy and gets you to the ground pronto! One thing I'de like to ask you guys is did you ever fast rope wearing an ruck with 80 to 100 lbs of gear plus your LBE & Rifle? I would think that slowing down with all that weight would be near impossible.
Slowing down is impossible. Just hold on for dear life and hope the pilot doesn't move the ropes off the top of the building. You always need the be ready to do a proper PLF when fast roping. :wink:
Thanks for the info h8train.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Spartan wrote:Image
Nice pic Spartan. Was this at an Airshow? In Nevada or Irac. Since there is but one fast roper visible.....it makes me wonder.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

The number of ropes we use is all dependent on terrain. On that we would use 2. Actually we would land. It is faster to land and dismount on that type of ground.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I loved rappeling, it was some fun shit. Fastropeing looks like it would work a lot better. What's the max altitude for a Fastrope?
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Slowpoke wrote:I loved rappeling, it was some fun shit. Fastropeing looks like it would work a lot better. What's the max altitude for a Fastrope?
With or without rope? :wink:
Ando

Post by Ando »

I dont want to piss on anybody's bonfire, but UKSF started fastroping during a little known operation in Malaya in 1959. They used to insert the patrols into the triple-canopy by parachute. The guys would HOPEFULLY land in the trees without killing themselves, then sling a rope from the tree and slide down. For obvious reasons, this practice was scrapped after a couple of operations.

When the 60's came along, the Regiment started to fast-rope teams from helis into the jungle in Borneo, and this tactic was used extensively due to the lack of suitable LSs (LZs to you guys. lol)

Hence the inclusion in a Bond movie, i would think.
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

BadMuther wrote:
Slowpoke wrote:I loved rappeling, it was some fun shit. Fastropeing looks like it would work a lot better. What's the max altitude for a Fastrope?
With or without rope? :wink:
:lol: You funny Bad Mother!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Desert Sloth wrote:Image

Tactical Rappel Device (TRD) designed by Kent Saucedo

100 ft 7mm Rope in bag....weighs approx 3lbs.

If you all have any qestions, Kent Saucedo is lurking around and can answer them.......and don't be soft on him either......HE OWES ME!!
I saw Kent Saucedo name before, he just joined up but didn't post. He's using his real name DS?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

That looks really cool. We tied a "Swiss Seat" with a sling rope and a climbing rope weighed a ton. I'm with Ranger Bell, I love technology!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

DS, did I understand you correctly in that multiple guys can rappel down the same rope, at the same time? I know that normal rappel devices (racks, figure 8's, etc) will actually make the guy brake if weighted from below (belay, duh...). How does this device accomplish the task?

Fastroping can blow me.....along with whomever invented it. :x

Return to “Ranger Transportation”