Introduction - Derek

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

drockUGA
Future Soldier

Introduction - Derek

Post by drockUGA »

Hello,

My name is Derek, I'm 24 years old based out of Atlanta, GA. One day not too long ago I realized that after getting a degree and settling down in the "professional" world for almost a year, that I needed more out of life. The military is something I've always admired, and I just woke up one day and said, screw it, I'm going to make it happen. Long story short I enlisted 11x about a month ago.

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't get everything out of my contract I should have. I just wanted to sign and get it over with so I could plan for the future. I was also about 20 pounds heavier than I should have been when I first saw the recruiter (I've since lost 25-30 pounds over 2 months), so I didn't press nearly as hard I should have. It's also my fault for taking my recruiter at face value when he said "Sure, you can get an Airborne or Ranger assignment while at Basic/AIT". But after researching a good bit, these things aren't just handed out. So, I joined this site to get as much information as I could about RENOing my contract to get both Airborne/Ranger included. If that doesn't work out, then doing whatever it takes to become a Ranger once I am active duty.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Derek
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Derek

Post by boscounderfoot »

If I understand your introduction correctly, you're through MEPS and have a ship date? If that's the case, would you share that with us please? Also, I'm a little concerned with your 25-30 lb weight-loss in 2 months, that isn't a healthy way to shed pounds. What is your current height/weight right? Where is your fitness at?

Start by answering those questions for us because the better informed we are of where you're currently at, the better we'll be able to help you get squared away for Basic. Beyond that, welcome to the site!
drockUGA
Future Soldier

Post by drockUGA »

Ranger boscounderfoot, I apologize for the omissions, I ship 20120306 to Fort Benning, GA. My current height/weight is 72"/198lbs respectively. 3 months ago I was at ~220lbs. Through a combination of a more healthy diet and a cardio intense workout schedule (running, swimminng, and a martial arts class), I've managed to lose the weight rather quickly.

I worked out with my recruiter this morning and did a shortened 1:1:1 PT test
Pushups: 35
Situps: 39
1 mile: 8:15

All numbers can and will be improved upon, no doubt. Thanks for the input.
boscounderfoot
Ranger

Post by boscounderfoot »

Good job on completing your first assignment in a timely manner.

Although those PT numbers aren't good, I would tend to agree with you that they will undoubtedly improve before March. Because you have quite a bit of time before you leave, I would suggest a balanced plan to lose another 20 lbs over the next 5 months, along with a plan to improve your overall fitness level.

Your next assignment is to provide us with an accounting of your daily diet, even the little snacks that are so easily overlooked. I also want your daily training log (swimming or running distances), run times (pace) and your strength training plan. Hopefully you've already taken advantage of the resources within this site to come up with an initial plan, but if you haven't, I would suggest you do that immediately. Get back to us when you've completed this, and good luck!
drockUGA
Future Soldier

Post by drockUGA »

Ranger boscounderfoot, thanks for the reply. Having 6 months to prepare is time that I plan to take full advantage of. My workouts so far have been pretty random so getting a good exercise and diet plan together is priority # 1.

As an example here is my last week's schedule:
Monday: pushup pyramid starting at 10, 4 sets of 60 situps, 3 mile run, Krav Maga class for an hour
Tuesday: situps, Krav Maga class
Wednesday: same as Monday, no pushup pyramids
Thursday: 1:1:1 workout with recruiter in AM, basketball game for rec league(usually play all 40 minutes), pushup pyramid.
Friday: Same as Monday, no Krav Maga class

I'll randomly go to a friend's gym and swim with him once a week as well. I'll also be moving most of my workouts to the AM since sunlight after dark is about to get sparse( I can't stand to be inside while working out if I don't have to be). Usually do a set of pushups randomly throughout the day while at work when I get bored and need to get away from the desk and chair.

Thanks again for the insight and help, I'll report back soon with both a detailed diet and exercise plan.

Return to “Introduction Archive”