Introduction: Alex

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Cayo
Ranger

Introduction: Alex

Post by Cayo »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Alex and I'm 21. I'm currently a Sophomore at Brigham Young University where I have a 3.94 GPA and a potential full tuition scholarship, but have opted to put my schooling on hold in order to serve my country. I have wanted to be a Ranger ever since I was 14, and have read everything I can get my hands on about the Rangers. You're the best, and I want to be part of the best. There is no way I want to get stuck with some "leg" unit.

I have a 3 year 11x contract, but unfortunately no option 40. I ship August 30th so I am afraid it is too late to go knocking down the door of MEPS to re no my contract, but I am going to try it anyway. I scored a 93 on the ASVAB with a GT of 135, and I have nearly maxed out the PT test, so I hope I will have the opportunity to volunteer for the Rangers if worst comes to worst.

Looking at other posts, I know you Rangers will probably tell me next to post my PT scores, so I might as well go ahead and do that one right now.
Push ups: 74
Sit ups: 84
2 Mile Run: 12:45
Pull ups (palms facing inwards) 13

My goals before I ship in 7 weeks are to do 80+ push ups, 90+ sit ups, 2 miler in 12 flat, and 15 pull ups. I am on track to reaching my target goals, since I do PT every day except Sunday's and Thursdays.

I know the advice is to make sure you have the option 40 in your contract, but is there any current or former Ranger here who managed to volunteer and get selected without having an option 40? If so, I would love to get advice from you on how you did it and what I could do besides PT to make that opportunity more available to me.

Thank you so much for the help, and for the service past and present that you have given to our nation.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Alex

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Alex,

While your enthusiasm is appreciated keep in mind one thing please. There are many Rangers on here who have served or do serve currently in "leg" units. That term is used by those who are in Ranger units and have the status to refer to others as such, you are not one of those soldiers/Rangers yet. Your current contract suggests that you might very possibly wind up in a non Ranger unit, wherever you go do your best and exceed standards and try to be a positive addition to the unit so that it in turn may become a better unit. You may be given the chance to volunteer at some point during your pipeline training down at Benning, but do yourself a favor and don't make enemies with your drill sgts. and airborne instructors and members of this board by insulting their service if it happens to be outside of the Rangers. Part of Abram's Charter (if you don't know what that is you should) intially was to have men leave their Ranger units and go out and spread their experience and expertise Army wide. Your pt scores are excellent but as always there is room for improvement. Your goals for your PT score should put you in fine company and competition in the Regiment if you make it.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
madslashers1-2
Ranger

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Alex

I had written you a much more thought out and kinder message prior to this one, but something failed and it did not post, that being said I do not have the time to rewrite it so I leave you with this message. There are many members of this board who have served or are currently serving with "leg" units. That term is generally used by people who have the status and right to use it. You are not one of those people. I might add that if you continue overtly with that attitude you may piss of people along your quest to get to the Rangers and therefore scuttle your chances. Fix your attitude and drive on, remember part of being a Ranger is fulfilling Abrams Charter (if you don't know what that is then you should fix that) and sharing expertise with the rest of the Army. I never served in a "leg" unit as such but I know many Rangers better than I who have and you will not come here and insult their service. That being said, keep up the impressive pt scores and good luck.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome and thank you for your future service.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Cayo
Ranger

Post by Cayo »

Ranger madslashers1-2,
I apologize for what I said, and for the fact that I am in no position to say it. I am also sorry that I conveyed the wrong message, I did not mean to use the term pejoratively, I only meant to differentiate. Also, if anyone reading this post should take offense, I beg your pardon, none was intended. I guess I could try to think up an excuse for saying it, but at the end of the day I bet no one really wants one, and an excuse never goes as far as an honest apology.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Alex, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. In spite of your inability to obtain an "option 40," you are doing all right. Apologies are accepted, but you do need to do some work on your PT events prior to your ship date. I understand your ambition to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment; and you may still be able to succeed. During OSUT, you will need to excell in everything you do. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Cayo
Ranger

Post by Cayo »

Ranger Jim
Thank you for your advice. It might be a long shot, but if they only have one slot available for one extra 11x to go to RASP, I'm determined to be the one who gets that it.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Alex. I appreciate your desire to become an Army Ranger. As Ranger Bill said, you may yet get that chance. My advise to you is to give 100% every minute of every day and only associate with those who do the same! An of course, NEVER QUIT!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Cayo
Ranger

Post by Cayo »

Ranger Ron,
Thank you very much for the welcome and the advice.
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Cayo.

I sent you a PM.

Name change made.
Last edited by Steadfast on July 14th, 2010, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: name change made
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Welcome dude. If you believe that NOTHING is impossible for you and pair that up with preparation AND always giving it 100% and then some, I think you'll find yourself exactly where you want to be. OPT 40 or not, only you can get yourself there. I used to be a leg. Now go do pushups.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
Cayo
Ranger

Post by Cayo »

Elguapo wrote:Welcome dude. If you believe that NOTHING is impossible for you and pair that up with preparation AND always giving it 100% and then some, I think you'll find yourself exactly where you want to be. OPT 40 or not, only you can get yourself there. I used to be a leg. Now go do pushups.
Ranger El guapo,
Thank you for the advice. I have realized that the better physical shape I am in when I enter basic the easier it will be for me to focus on and learn everything else. I'm also going to make sure I have memorized the soldiers creed, general orders etc. before I ship. It will give me a serious leg up on others, maybe even those with option 40's. I realized that for my age group, when I enter basic being able to do 80+ pushups 90+ situps and a 12:00 two mile, I will have PT scores literally off the charts.

It will be a lot easier to focus when I am already in shape. The only type of gun I have fired in my life is a .22 (practically a pea shooter) so I really have no idea how I will do with marksmanship skills, but I know I will qualify well because I won't accept anything less. If those two things (PT and Marksmanship) don't give me the opportunity to try out, combined with a good attitude, I don't know what will.

As for the pushups, I will knock out a couple hundred as penance for my comment :D
RASP 04-11
RS 03-12
<2>
nmott05
Inprocessing

Post by nmott05 »

Cayo,
I entered without option 40 in my contract. PM inbound.
Graduate of first RASP class, class 03-10.

Return to “Introduction Archive”