Introduction-Ralph

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Fat_Bastard
Egg

Introduction-Ralph

Post by Fat_Bastard »

Hello all,

My name is Ralph, I am 23 years old and currently live in Redlands California.

I have been interested in becoming an Army Ranger ever since I started researching joining the military a couple years ago. The problem I have is that I am not currently a US citizen. I am originally from Scotland and hold my green card but have about 1 year left before I can apply for full citizenship. I have been over forum after forum with contradicting views on whether or not it is possible to become a Ranger without citizenship (including the option 40 requirements on this board). The best shot that I have found was with reference to a LAA (Limited Authorization Agreement) The LAA temporarily grants qualified applicants up to a Secret level clearance without requiring them to be a US citizen. The problem is I read this on another website without any evidence to back it up, but if there is a way I will find it.

I have not yet DEP'ed in because I am currently over weight. Around 2 months ago I weighed my self at 280lbs and made a commitment to myself to lose the weight, quit smoking (accomplished) and get in shape to be a ranger. Since then I am down to 266lbs and have gone from not being able to run a full mile without my HR exceeding 190bpm to the point where I can now comfortably run 3 miles. I know I have a LONG way to go but I am 100% committed and focused to getting in shape and some day joining the elite ranks of the 75th.

I am DETERMINED to become a Ranger come hell or high water and if goarmy.com says I can become a Ranger as a permanent resident and there is a way I WILL FIND IT.

Thank you to all who give up their free time to run this board and give information to us wannabees who some day wish to stand shoulder to shoulder with you. I know the purpose of this sight is not to dish out recruiting information but I truly appreciate the time and effort that you all spend on trying to help all of us out.

P.S If I need to change my avatar, please let me know and I will do so immediately. I went to the profile section and looked in the gallery but could not find the "Newts" section as described in the board rules.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Introduction-Ralph

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome.

Someone with more recent experience will be able to answer your questions. When I was in service I was also a resident alien and had a Secret Clearance that for one assignment was upgraded to Top Secret. Unfortunately we are currently in a completely different world.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

With a year to go to get your citizenship, that won't be a problem because you are not going to be in near good enough shape in that time. Physical conditioning and activity must be part of what you do and who you are, not just a daily workout, if you are going to earn your way into our regiment.

Plenty of guidance around the forums here already on how to get it done.

Lots of us here have forebears who were run out of the Highlands or Borders - what took you so long? :P

Welcome.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

K.Ingraham wrote:Lots of us here have forebears who were run out of the Highlands or Borders - what took you so long? :P
Indeed. By the way, one of our own may look unkindly on the name you have chosen. I do -- you are not yet a warrior. That is a honorific that is earned.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Of all fucking user-names that a fat bastard could pick, why this one?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your desire to serve our country is appreciated. It will take some time to reach the weight requirements for service. Make physical conditioning your goal. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Fat_Bastard
Egg

Post by Fat_Bastard »

Roger that Rangers, poor judgment has been shown on my behalf in choosing that name.

As far as the weight goes down another 6lbs this week and 2 mile run in exactly 22 mins. Still WAY OFF I know but improvement is being made. Also my recruiter suggested p90x so I'm going to do that.

Return to “Introduction Archive”