Introduction - JP

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

bijoux41
Egg

Introduction - JP

Post by bijoux41 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is JP, I'm 21 and I want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment. After graduating high school in 05, I joined the National Guard (31b-MP) because my father was a police officer and encouraged me to follow in his footsteps. I was embraced by the military life, a life where everything that is given to you had to be earned. I loved everything, the barracks, the pt, the Drill Sgt, the soldiers and all aspects of this life. So I enrolled in ROTC after my return from OSUT. I learned a lot in ROTC aside from the practical training. I learn to lead cadets, mimic the leadership style of my cadre and boat load of OPORDs haha. Currently I am still in the program as an MSIV cadet but I have a dilemma. I'm slotted to be a reserve MI officer because my grades sucked during accessions and I was unable to secure active duty or a combat arms branch. I yearn to be a soldier and not an officer. The relationship with the cadre at my program has been good but I failed them and myself by not living up to my potential. In life, second chances are rare and I would like to redeem myself and prove to myself and others that I have great discipline and potential. I feel that serving with the 75th Ranger Regiment will give me that.

I have to speak to the PMS at my school and get out of the ROTC program and enlist. I spoke to a recruiter about an 11x option 40 contract and he told me there is none available. He supposedly called his executive officer, nonetheless, he came with the same answer. I have read this site enough to tell me that there is a possibility of getting the contract regardless of what the recruiter said.

Everyone that knows me does not approve of this decision, especially the PMS because I am so close to commissioning and officer are better treated than enlisted men. I am after the training and discipline the Ranger Regiment will give. Forget the badges and uniform accessories, I want to be the best trained infantryman rolling around with the most effective raid force this army has.I have too much pride to serve in a Reserve unit, not because it is bad, but I don't think I will belong there. I came to this site for guidance in terms of my life goals and the contract also. With this decision to enlist, I feel like I am finally taking charge of my own life and however hard it might be, I will keep moving forward no matter the situation.

Sorry for the long read and thank you Rangers.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Introduction - JP

Post by Earthpig »

If you follow through with this, you will not be the only member on this site who did that. We have a member who was one of the top Cadets at University of Texas and threw it away to enlist with an Option 40. Last I heard, he was doing well and happy with his decision. Different strokes...

Welcome to the site, and good luck to you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome to the site. It's not clear to me whether you plan to graduate or leave school to enlist. In any case, tell your recruiter that you will only accept an Option 40 enlistment and do not waiver. Keep us posted on how things go. And be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
bijoux41
Egg

Post by bijoux41 »

Thanks Ranger EarthPig.

To Ranger Bill, I have 20 more credits to graduate and I plan to finish by the end of this summer. I spoke to the PMS at the program and he told me that I would have to pay all the scholarship money that I have received if I were to quit the program and that I will never become an officer. It is a lot of money considering the school that I am attending is a private school. Nonetheless, when I enlist, I will try to request a pardon from cadet command and the Army.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

If you can't live up to your potential in ROTC how the fuck do you think you'll do in RASP?
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome. Thank you for your desire to serve with the best.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
bijoux41
Egg

Post by bijoux41 »

To Ranger Kilted Heathen, you are right I could not hack ROTC, it is clear considering my decision. College life and financial problems got to me and I started falling back, cutting classes and a general poor attitude towards ROTC and college.
To Ranger Bill, I will finish my education regardless of what decision I make because I am too damn close to graduating.
To Ranger EarthPig, you mentioned another cadet enlisting also, perhaps you can guide to his posts/situation.
I realize that if I voluntarily dropped the ROTC program, I may be needs of the army or just sent back to complete my service obligation with the National Guard. I intend of securing a 11x Option 40 even though I am considered a prior service soldiers in the eyes of the recruiter and the Army.
Understand Rangers that I am not quitting on school or my obligation to the Army. I am taking a route, for once in my life I feel is right, that is hazardous, dangerous and will be rewarding. Thank you for reading this Rangers.

Return to “Introduction Archive”