Introduction -- Matthew

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

vanwirt
Embryo

Introduction -- Matthew

Post by vanwirt »

Rangers, thank you for letting me be part of this forum.

My name is Matthew, and I have always wanted to be part of the Military, especially an Army Ranger. As soon as I turned 18 I wanted to join, but family and friends said try something else before you go in. I took their advice, and now I am 24 years old. I really should have listened to my gut feeling. Moved from Ohio to New York to try to find a better opportunity. I have a solid career working at an Insurance Company which is, just okay. I am one of those guys in cubicle, two dual computer monitors, annoying voice next to me, taking client calls all day. I have tried many jobs and not one that was exciting. The movie that comes to mind is Office Space. Enough bitching. All I want now is to join, and be proud to serve this country just as you all have.

I do have obstacles in my way before joining. Unfortunately, I was arrested for DWI in December of 2008. I have not been convicted yet, and I have a possibility of getting the charge reduced to a non-alcoholic offense. Which would be spectacular, because I wouldn't have to wait a year to join after conviction. Also if convicted, this may impede any chance at becoming a Ranger and security clearances. The other obstacle is debt. I do have a lot of debt due to stupidity while being young and dumb. I have been working on this one.

I am 5ft. 6in. weighing in at 193 (little chubby). Took the quick ASVAB in Feb 2009 with my recruiter, scored 62. I was unsure of my line scores.
Pull Ups: 17
Push Ups: 79
Sit Ups: 54
2 Mile run time: 13min. 47 sec.
Trying to perfect all of those.

I now have the drive and motivation to succeed and be part of something only few know about.

Thank you for your time Rangers,

Matthew W.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Introduction -- Matthew

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome, and thanks for your interest in Army Rangers. At 24 you're already in the "should have, would have, could have" crowd. And it's up to you chnage things before it's too late for you to do so. Yeah, that DWI thing needs to get settled and with a good attorney, and with a previously clean record, you may have decent odds at pleaing down to wreckless driving. If not, well you already know about the year wait. Unless you are not making payments on your debt, it will probably not be an issue. For a "chubby" 5'6" at 193 lbs., those are some pretty decent PT scores. Keep us posted on how things go with your recruiter once your DWI gets settled. In the meantime, read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
vanwirt
Embryo

Post by vanwirt »

Ranger Bill, thank you for your welcome.

As far as the PT, I am always physically active and train for the requirements of the test. I just eat cookies after I work out, haha. I will keep posted the outcome of court processes for the DWI conviction, and report with any information from my recruiter. My next court date is scheduled for June 29, 2009. The ROE PM was received and read.
In war there is no prize for the runner-up.

General Omar Bradley
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com. As Ranger Bill said, you are responsible for your life. Take charge and make it what you want! Good luck.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
vanwirt
Embryo

Post by vanwirt »

Ranger Ron, thank you. Took me quite a while to figure out what would make me happy in life. I know this is it.

I will not quit.

General Omar Bradley
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

"Don't hire someone who can't run their personal business and expect them to run your business." "Excuses are other people telling you why they botched it."

Your age will not be a problem. Your mentality might. Start being the aggressive, proactive and positive idea.

Good luck and stay away from the same old shit..........that is why you are just now getting here. Keep doing what your doing and you will keep getting what your getting.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
vanwirt
Embryo

Post by vanwirt »

An update to my progress..It has been awhile since I have posted..I came out with a DWAI which is Driving While Ability Impaired which is a traffic violation nothing more but the fees for lawyers and charges for the violation were in excess of 8k..It was setteled in Sept. 2010..I continue to make strides in accomplishing my goal here..

I moved back to Ohio in June 2011 still with my same job for an insurance company..Everything is going great and my debt is less and less every month..The only payment I want when I enter is a cell phone bill that's it..

Ranger Caruthers, I did not thank you for that post, but it helped out a lot and thank you..

I am doing better on my PT too..just started getting back into it about 3 months ago so not much has changed, but better than before..I'm still 5ft 6in. now at about 186lbs.

Pull Ups: 19
Push Ups: 83
Sit Ups: 59
2 Mile run time: 13min. 02 sec.

Thank you all..

General Omar Bradley
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

DWAI is the same as a DUI or DWI in the Army's eyes. I am a recruiter in NY and am familiar with this charge, the lawyers think it is a huge accomplishment for you, and its not. As far as you joining the Army goes, you might as well have gotten charged with the DWI. Sorry to break the news to ya....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
vanwirt
Embryo

Post by vanwirt »

Thank you Ranger goon175 for the reply. Will this be a pothole or a cliff as far as becoming an Army Ranger with your kind of experience?

General Omar Bradley
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Pothole. It will just delay when you are able to enlist, and you will need a moral waiver to join. This will prevent you from getting an opt. 40 at enlistment, but won't prevent you from getting a Ranger contract in basic/AIT/airborne.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
vanwirt
Embryo

Post by vanwirt »

Well that is good news. I appreciate your help with this Ranger goon175. When my time gets closer to enlisting, would it be okay to pm you for additional information? I will make sure to read the posts/stickies here before I just start pming you.

General Omar Bradley
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Unless it is of a personal nature, I think it better to post any questions, so that others who may encounter similar problems can read and learn.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Your 26 and still........not lined your self out. Reread my original post.......especially the last line.
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
vanwirt
Embryo

Post by vanwirt »

Okay I certainly will Ranger goon175. Thank you

Ranger Caruthers, yes you are absolutely correct. Ever since my first post here I have taken corrective actions. Some personal things have got in my way which I take full responsibility for, but I still haven't lost my drive. I still have a positive attitude towards what I am doing. I have no excuse because I have led myself to where I'm at now. I will continue to work toward my goal. Thank you for the boot to @ss or face.

General Omar Bradley

Return to “Introduction Archive”