Gun safes...

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
RangerX
Ranger

Gun safes...

Post by RangerX »

So I am looking at buying a larger safe for my pea shooters. Looking at the local places it seems everything these days has an "electronic" lock. Poking around one of them, the keypad popped off, and there were only two small wires leading into the door.

Are these things easily hackable? I was wanting a good old fashion dial style combo lock, but they are rare and expensive. Any reason I SHOULDN'T be looking a the electronic lock models?

Any braindumps on the topic would be appreciated...
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Gun safes...

Post by cams »

The reason you stated above would be enough for me. Electronics fail and I would not want to lose complete access to my shit because some jackass was hungover that day and soldered this wire into that lead in a shoddy fashion that wouldn't be noticed until it was noticed in its failure to operate, weeks or months after the purchase.

Murpheys Law still applies.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

My understanding of the electronic locks are that they are drop in replacements for the older dial type locks. Having said that, I would think it would be easy to retro fit a dial tumbler into one but I have never tried that route though.

If all else fails, a custom safe maker or locksmith could probably put in a dial for you.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

I more or less split it down the middle and found one with a key. No electronic lock to fail, no combination to forget, only a key to lose...yeah, I'll probably lose it.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IntelToad wrote:I more or less split it down the middle and found one with a key. No electronic lock to fail, no combination to forget, only a key to lose...yeah, I'll probably lose it.
That's what I did. Got several spare keys and stored them each in a "safe" place. So far, so good.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

IntelToad wrote:I more or less split it down the middle and found one with a key. No electronic lock to fail, no combination to forget, only a key to lose...yeah, I'll probably lose it.
That's what I have now, but it's not the most sturdy thing, and it's not fire proof.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “Weapons of War”