Glock

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Glock

Post by Grim666 »

Any suggestions for changes / improvements over the factory glock 19 gen 4? Looking to do the sights and finished reading the sights for the aging thread, seeing what other suggestions there are without breaking the bank.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Glock

Post by cams »

First thing I would do Grimm is change out the plastic trigger. You can get a nice custom trigger group for about 150.00+ that will change the way the weapon fires and feels when firing. Huge improvement in trigger reset, pull weight, accuracy for follow on shots and comfort.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

I'm a big fan of a red dot on my Glock; I know you said you don't want to break the bank but that was the best thing for me when it comes to sight systems. Trijicon HD night sights with the orange front sight were a close second.

As far as the gun itself, I would either use one of the beaver tail grip pieces or a Grip Force Adapter to keep from getting slide bite if you have sasquatch sized hands; otherwise no back straps are the way to go.

Some guys like the extended/ Vickers slide stop. I found that my thumbs rode on it, causing an intermittent failure to lock back on the last round.

After market triggers are nice, it's cheaper and easier to use factory Glock springs and trigger faces though. Don't completely discount the NY triggers for a solid reset. You can play with the springs to get the actual trigger weight back to a usable level.

Magwells are an individual preference; I run mine bone stock. I have yet to miss a reload because I couldn't angle the mag in right.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I'm one of them certified dime a dozen Glock armorers and I have my manual here at the house with me.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

For 20.00 you may really like one of these grip wraps.

http://talongungrips.com/

Especially on plastic guns, it just works. Recommend the rubber one, not the grit feel.I have one on my 43 and it's the single best 20.00 I ever spent.

Except for that one time at The Lucky Lady in Ft Sill...
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Thanks for the suggestions. A trigger was one of the things I was looking at, and for the price I will definitely give the grips a shot. fatboy thanks I may be hitting you up.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

The grips are great IMO, saves the frame from the permanency of stippling and cost a hell of a lot less.

Lot of great reviews on them online. Most of the local gun shops around here at least have them in stock, pretty popular item and they make them for several different weapon systems.

Glockstore'com also has a lot of add ons for customization, even if you don't purchase anything from them will give you some good ideas about what's out there.

That is where I got the Pyrimid trigger system for my Glock, love it, smooth and steady firing now.

On a magazine note, I would not buy any Glock magazine extensions from the Glock Store, purchased two of them and found out they use a tiny Allen wrench screw system to secure the mag to the base, and I stripped one of them just securing it after placement. You would need to keep that tiny Allen wrench with you just to field strip the mag and clean it, not a fan.

I recently purchased some complete mags with a +3 cap from Taran Tactical that I'm very happy with. They use a simple push pin (fingertip is your tool) to disassemble for cleaning/repair. These base plates I would def recommend.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

I'm throwing these 2 attachments here for the good of the order. Hopefully they show up.

The first is a pic of the Glock trigger connectors. From L to R they are the Minus(4.5lb), standard (5.5lb), plus (8.0lb) and then Dot (4.8lb).
Per Glock, the Dot connector is for Gen 4 guns only. The rest should be multi generation compatible. There also may be issues ordering the minus and for bars on the open market, since my manual lists them as LE agency purchase only.

The second pic is of the estimated trigger weight with each connector bar/trigger spring and firing pin spring weights. It includes the NY1 and NY2 trigger springs.

It should be noted that the trigger weight is dictated by the connector and trigger spring, and the reset is affected by the trigger spring. In other words, the NY springs will give you a crisp, stout reset feel. The regular springs give a similar lighter feel for the reset. In my opinion, the NY triggers really don't effect the trigger pull much, but those heavy connectors combined could give you up to 12 lbs and change on a pistol trigger. (Explains the excellent NYPD marksmanship a little bit, doesn't it?)
Attachments
Trigger weights
Trigger weights
Connector names
Connector names

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

In addition, the above listed parts are all Glock approved/ certified so there would be minimal drama of "unsafe mods" done to the gun if it's ever used in a real life situation .

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1

Return to “Weapons of War”