M4 ballistics question

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Rangeratlarge
Ranger

M4 ballistics question

Post by Rangeratlarge »

Am running into a lot of issues with the Patrol Rifle program at my LEO department. The program has many training and equipment flaws.

I have NEVER been a ballistics guy BUT I have always thought I understood the basics of my primary weapon for all my AD Army years. So I ask to confirm the below with all of you.

One issue is the departments basic class that all must take to be "qualed" to carry on duty is they zero the weapon at 50 yards.

My question is this...Isn't the M16 series of rifle designed to be zeroed at 25 yards/meters????

I was taught that this is because the path of the round crosses up through the line-of-site at 25meters and back down through the LoS at approx 250 meters. Is that correct!!

RaL
Class 8-89
1/75 (x2)
3/75
4th RTB
10th LRSD (x2)
Silverback
Ranger

Re: M4 ballistics question

Post by Silverback »

Rangeratlarge wrote:Am running into a lot of issues with the Patrol Rifle program at my LEO department. The program has many training and equipment flaws.

I have NEVER been a ballistics guy BUT I have always thought I understood the basics of my primary weapon for all my AD Army years. So I ask to confirm the below with all of you.

One issue is the departments basic class that all must take to be "qualed" to carry on duty is they zero the weapon at 50 yards.

My question is this...Isn't the M16 series of rifle designed to be zeroed at 25 yards/meters????

I was taught that this is because the path of the round crosses up through the line-of-site at 25meters and back down through the LoS at approx 250 meters. Is that correct!!

RaL
You're correct...PM me a good Email address for an attachment
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Rangeratlarge
Ranger

Post by Rangeratlarge »

Tater Nuts wrote:Based on usage a military zero would probably be 25 meter, however for Police usage a 50 meter zero might be preferable.
Had that discussion too. For me personally I have spent a long time learning the adjusted aiming points for a 25 meter zero. Just wanna stay with what I know. If allowed I WILL hit what I am aiming at!!!!
Class 8-89
1/75 (x2)
3/75
4th RTB
10th LRSD (x2)
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

The reason that LE zeros the patrol rifle at 50 yds., is that very few shots will be outside of 100 yds. and more likely well within 50 yds. As a police officer we have to account for all of our rounds. To have collateral damage as a police officer, is liability wise not good. A 50 yds zero, puts all hits within an inch or two from about 125 yds. to 25 yds. Inside of 25 yds. the rounds will stike low compared to point of aim, based on how far above your muzzle, your sights are mounted.

As cops we have to account for all of our rounds, suppressive fire, isn't usually an option.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Zero at 50 (for department qual) and go 2 clicks down. Should give you a 25 yd zero.

Personally I would try the 50 yd and see how you liked it. Once I tried it, the benefits became obvious and I stuck with it.

Paul Howe http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com ... ctures.pdf

Makes a good case for the 100 yd zero.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Isn't The overall goal of zeroing is to ensure that point of aim and point of impact are the same?

What do the two clicks equal at 50 yds ?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Silverback wrote:Isn't The overall goal of zeroing is to ensure that point of aim and point of impact are the same?

POA, POI
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

BadMuther wrote:
Silverback wrote:Isn't The overall goal of zeroing is to ensure that point of aim and point of impact are the same?

POA, POI

Two clicks where and in what direction???

Front Sight post (CW or CCW)

Rear Sight (CW or CCW)
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Silverback wrote:
BadMuther wrote:

POA, POI

Two clicks where and in what direction???

Front Sight post (CW or CCW)

Rear Sight (CW or CCW)
See above. 2 clicks with the front site post down. Front site controls elevation, rear windage for zeroing there top. :wink:

Return to “Weapons of War”