My "new" AR-15's [lots of pictures/56K warning]

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Trigger
Tadpole

My "new" AR-15's [lots of pictures/56K warning]

Post by Trigger »

Re-did a few things (optics, etc.) on two of my AR-15's so I decided to take a new round of pictures. Got way too into it and ended up spending an hour playing with the camera and trying to get creative.

"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Parabellum
Ranger

Re: My "new" AR-15's [lots of pictures/56K warning]

Post by Parabellum »

PARABELLUM LIKEY!!!

Aimpoint Micro's are the shit.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Parabellum wrote:PARABELLUM LIKEY!!!
fucking laughed so hard I sharted
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

snakecharmer wrote:I'm curious as to the micro Aimpoint ? I've been so used to the CompM2/M3 that I can't imagine a smaller optic. How do you like and what advantages do you see in it ?

Gotta love the LaRue mounts for your hi-power glass !!!! 8)
I love the micro. Here's the breakdown on how I feel about it:

Pro's:

1. Weight. Unbelievably light. The LaRue mount for it is very light as well. There is no noticeable difference on the weight and balance of the carbine with the optic off or on.

2. Brightness settings are just right. For indoor use, I leave it set at 8. For outdoor, I go up to 10. Setting 12 is the highest and disproportionately bright, something Aimpoint did in response to feedback from the sandbox; I guess in really bright conditions in sandy environments it can be hard to see the dot, so they made sure you'd have a setting where you could see it no matter the conditions.

3. Tube size. It's thick enough to be strong so it shares the Comp series' legendary reliability, but it's small enough that when shooting both eyes open, the tube obstructs very little of your view.

4. Adjustments. The dial's caps screw off and the two nubs on top are used to adjust the dial. It's so simple yet so ingenious.

5. Battery life. 5 Years constant on.

6. Did I mention weight? This thing is light!

Con's (I had to think hard to think of some...besides price)

1. If you use it with your front sight up (or in the military context, a fixed FSB there), you're going to be obstructing a largerportion of your view through the RDS versus a Comp M2/M3/M4. LaRue's mount puts the iron sights in the lower 1/3rd, but still, it's taking up a good portion of your field of view. It all depends on how dominant your right eye is when shooting, if you can look past it using your left eye, it's really a non-factor.

2. When shooting from awkward positions, some people report it being hard to find the dot. I don't have this problem and I shoot in pretty much every position imaginable, both strong and weak handed.
Last edited by Trigger on March 16th, 2009, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A golf course is the willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper (ret).
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

JLTW!!! wrote:Anyone have any feedback on the Docter(sp?) sights that can be mounted above the ACOG for CQB/close range shooting?

BTW, nice looking set-up you got there!
Ranger JLTW,

Thanks for the compliment on the weapons.

I think buddying a Doctor optic to the ACOG is one of the better options for trying to cover both close and medium range shooting. It's a very mechanically squared away little package. They used to hold some popularity in 3 Gun Open class, but now most everyone has moved to the 1:30 O'clock mounting position on the handguard for a close range optic or sight (since you don't have to drastically shift your cheek weld).

I really don't mind the cheek weld issue, but I've some experienced instructors bring up the issue, so it's worth noting.

From a war fighting perspective, I think the Doctor wins out. An optic at the 1:30 on the handguard would be prone to getting smashed in the "real world" (versus competition world), so I think that is where the Doctor shines. The one thing I really do like about it is the field of view. Since you're up above the gun so get that sight picture through the doctor, you have a virtually unobstructed room. It's a great fit for a combat weapon. I believe the Army even has NSN numbers for them now. It will be my set up of choice, if I can get one or be allowed to purchase one on my own.

LaRue and a few other companies also make a mount, if you want to retrofit a Doctor's or similar sized RDS onto your existing ACOG.

- Trigger
Trigger
Tadpole

Post by Trigger »

TC204,

I don't use the BDC. I have my own drop table built in MOA and use the reticle based system for hold over (it's my 3 gun rifle, so I'm not putting clicks in on the fly).

I bought the scope used, I need to pick up a 5.56mm knob just so it'll be right.

Return to “Weapons of War”