Breaking in the new M&P 15

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
GSXRanger
Ranger

Breaking in the new M&P 15

Post by GSXRanger »

I bought a new complete Smith and Wesson M&P-15. It's the basic model, since all of them are the same lower / barreled upper, just different furniture on them. My goal is to start with this as a base, and build a decent little carbine. This is a project gun, and will change shape as time progesses.

Here's my hands on experience with my new Smith and Wesson M&P 15. I took the rifle out of the hard carrying case, which is pretty much a 30 dollar Dockosil single rifle case. Ho hum. The carbine was covered in grease and oil, and the bolt was sort of gritty feeling. The rifle came with a brand new, mil spec 30 round magazine, so I can add that to my eleventy six bazzillion mags I already have.

I took the rifle out in the shed, and gave it a very complete cleaning. This rifle has a 1 in 9 twist, Carbine length gas tube, lightened style barrel, with the traditional sight post up front. Nothing fancy... but the fit and finish were above supurb. The upper and lower mated with ZERO slop, and once cleaned, and properly lubed, the bolt operated silky smooth.

The handguards on the base model are the standard two piece M4 style, no rails. But, the carrying handle has the A3 style sight rail, and comes off easily. Standard Picatinny rails on the upper receiver.

The trigger, as I stated... is incredibly smooth for this price range. I put my Lymann guage on it, and it broke consistently at five pounds... give or take a few ounces either side. There is little to no creep on it, when dry firing it.

Off to the range we went.

The only ammo I had to break her in, was 1974 era, M-193 ball... which was made by Winchester, back in November of 1974. I have five hundred rounds of it still in white boxes... so, I figured I would run about 200 through it, just to break in the barrel, and see how it shot with 55 grain ball.

Here is the picture of the Range on Tamiami Trail in Miami. It's a really crappy range, the only distance you can shoot is out to 100 yards. They are very anal about their rules, one round every five seconds, etc... due to the high volume of fucksticks that frequent.

Here is the rifle, on the bench. Notice the light coat of oil... he he he

Last edited by GSXRanger on November 9th, 2008, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Ok, I started off shooting from a crappy rest, at 50m just to see if I could print on the 6 inch Shoot and See. I put the sights at mechanical zero, and had to move a total of 14 clicks right... which is almost spot on, for my issued Colt M4 from mechanical zero.

That got my windage right, after the adjustment. I still had some elevation issues... but, I was shooting at 50m, and could not use a standard M4 zero target.

Here I am shooting the rifle...

Here is the 50m target. Notice group 1, is off to the left. Not too shabby for the first 3 rounds out of the gun.

Groups two and three were fired successively. I have a 60x spotting scope that I noted the position of the impact of the rounds.

After sight adjustments, I stacked group 4 on top of each other.

Last edited by GSXRanger on November 12th, 2008, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I then moved the target out to 100m... and just used a fresh Shoot and See, 6 inch circle. With Iron sights, I was making a "lollypop" with the black shoot and see. I would rest the black circle directly on top of the sight post, and press the trigger. I was able to keep every single one of my rounds, within the shoot and see, iron sights with zero issues.

This is with very shitty ammo, and I can almost bet that with 62 grain ball, and an EOTech... this thing will shoot MORE than tight enough for a combat rifle.

I ran 200 rounds through it, cleaning the bore every 40. Not a single hiccup, or misfire, zilch.

My opinion of this rifle so far?

Amazing. Especially for what I paid for it. 8)

That is all.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Thanks for the post Darren, I've been thinking about picking one up, but I didn't know anybody that had one to get their take on them. I can't see your pictures even though I am logged in to the gallery.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Interesting... about the pictures. I hosted them on Photobucket, so unless you are on a server that keeps from veiwing them from Photobucket, that has to be the problem.

I just cleaned the rifle, and there was some carbon on the bolt, but nothing really bad to write home about. It came clean with little to no effort.

I am giving the new Remmington Dri-Lube a shot... it's interesting. Spray it on, and it dries... well, DRY.

All in all, I give this little rifle a thumbs up. Now, to start adding goodies to it... 8)

I wanna keep the front sight tower, so I may just go with the Troy Industries DI-7... it's a drop in rail grip, that seems to be worth the money.

EOTech 512 is on the way.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Safe and clear?

Push!! :twisted:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

cams wrote:Safe and clear?

Roger that... I saw that in the picture. I had just taken the rifle out of the case, and sat it on the table. Immortalized stupidity, in the picture.

Pushing...
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

GSXRanger wrote:
cams wrote:Safe and clear?

Roger that... I saw that in the picture. I had just taken the rifle out of the case, and sat it on the table. Immortalized stupidity, in the picture.

Pushing...
8) :wink:

It is only ourselves that can keep each other safe.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Good to see you having fun Darren!

You didn't adjust the elevation when you moved back to 100?

Jim
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

I've got one of these but with KAC RAILZ, mang. Threw a comp-M on it, Larue VFG and LMT butt stock too. It's a shooter. Never had one problem with it and I estimate I've got around 1,000 rounds through it. I've heard that Stag makes them but I can't confirm. You need to come down to Andy's and put it through our little 2 gun competition. Congrats on your purchase.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

another damn texan wrote:I've got one of these but with KAC RAILZ, mang. Threw a comp-M on it, Larue VFG and LMT butt stock too. It's a shooter. Never had one problem with it and I estimate I've got around 1,000 rounds through it. I've heard that Stag makes them but I can't confirm. You need to come down to Andy's and put it through our little 2 gun competition. Congrats on your purchase.
From what I got directly from S&W... Stag made / tooled their first production as an UP spec'd Stag. Now, S&W are tooling and producing them in the S&W factory.

They are also getting ready to release the M&P-M4 to compete for the Govt. contract, and this little bugger is gas piston driven... 8)

I'm getting ready to slap some rails on it, looking at the Daniel Defense Omega 7 rail system. Got to fiddle with one the other day, and it's a solid piece of kit.

I plan on making the next get together, once I get back from the IZ.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Weapons of War”