The man behind the gun II

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
johng
Embryo

The man behind the gun II

Post by johng »

Rangers,
Glad my first post entertained you . Sorry about the beer out the nose.
My Ranger dad preferred a BAR in Korea.He named his "Girlfriend". He liked the long range accuracy, and, if he melted a barrel , changeout was quick. He said for heavy Chinese encounters he would take the shoulder straps and loop them over his feet to keep the barrels down. This allowed him to shoot one in each hand. He said you can't do it for long , but, you won't have to.
Dad's other weapon of choice was the 50 CAL. machine gun. He said it was excellent for clearing out trees, buildings, and, unwanted enemy. It is a great demoralizer. The drawbacks were that it is a little bulky to run with, you will need to move after about twenty seconds; incoming mortars ,you need to remove the tracers; muzzle flash, and you will have ammo bearers to look out for.
Dad made two to three patrols a week for two years firing 500 to 1500 rounds per patrol. He did eventually develope nerve damage in his hands similar to someone running a jackhammer. Surgery and medicines were unable to help the pain. So, if you are firing mass quantities; use anti-vibration protection. He said the pain in his hands was worse thah his seven way heart bypass surgery....Is that better?
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: The man behind the gun II

Post by Earthpig »

johng wrote:So, if you are firing mass quantities; use anti-vibration protection.
Is that like a condom?

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
F50LRRP
BANNED

Post by F50LRRP »

Perhaps your dad was thinking of a .30 caliber MG. There is a barrel changing capability with the M1919A6. There is none with the B.A.R..

I've used both in combat and I wouldn't choose either again.

RLTW,

Mike
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

johng wrote:Rangers,
Glad my first post entertained you . Sorry about the beer out the nose.
My Ranger dad preferred a BAR in Korea.He named his "Girlfriend". He liked the long range accuracy, and, if he melted a barrel , changeout was quick. He said for heavy Chinese encounters he would take the shoulder straps and loop them over his feet to keep the barrels down. This allowed him to shoot one in each hand. He said you can't do it for long , but, you won't have to.
Dad's other weapon of choice was the 50 CAL. machine gun. He said it was excellent for clearing out trees, buildings, and, unwanted enemy. It is a great demoralizer. The drawbacks were that it is a little bulky to run with, you will need to move after about twenty seconds; incoming mortars ,you need to remove the tracers; muzzle flash, and you will have ammo bearers to look out for.
Dad made two to three patrols a week for two years firing 500 to 1500 rounds per patrol. He did eventually develope nerve damage in his hands similar to someone running a jackhammer. Surgery and medicines were unable to help the pain. So, if you are firing mass quantities; use anti-vibration protection. He said the pain in his hands was worse thah his seven way heart bypass surgery....Is that better?

My father served Active Duty US Army for 26 years, did 2 rotations in Vietnam, was in Haiti, Bondsteel (Yugoslavia) and Iraq (with KBR) and never told me shit about his combat experience. NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH! I have no fucking clue what he did there, let alone if he called his weapon "sweetie pie" or some such shit! :?

... Wish I could get info about his experiences before he's gone.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
lawdog
Tadpole

Post by lawdog »

BruteForce wrote: My father served Active Duty US Army for 26 years, did 2 rotations in Vietnam, was in Haiti, Bondsteel (Yugoslavia) and Iraq (with KBR) and never told me shit about his combat experience. NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH! I have no fucking clue what he did there, let alone if he called his weapon "sweetie pie" or some such shit! :?

... Wish I could get info about his experiences before he's gone.
My grandfather spent 3 years 9 months in the South Pacific during WWII while in the Marine Corp. I asked him a couple time about what combat he saw and all he ever said was, "Oh....a little". He passed away almost four (4) years ago now and I wish he would have been able to share some of his experiences. But I never pushed him because it must have been some serious shit he didn't want to re-live.
“You got the right to remain silent, so shut the fuck up, ok? You got the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney, we will provide you with the dumbest fucking lawyer on earth. If you get Johnny Cochrane, I'll kill ya!â€

Return to “Weapons of War”